1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding reception tunes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Jul 18, 2007.

1. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Three months from tomorrow, the soon-to-be Mrs. Olson and I are:
    - Leaving church to "In My Life"
    - Walking into the reception to "Hands Down" by Dashboard Confessional
    - Dancing to "Better Together" by Jack Johnson

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Macarena :p

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

13 months ago the Mrs. & I had our first dance to Angels & Acrobats by Rod Picott.

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Assuming you're hiring a DJ and not programming your own iPod....

You're paying a pro decent to serious money. Let him/her do his/her job. Sure, give him/her a few tunes you like. Definitely make a Do-Not-Play list (but don't overdo it). Pick the song(s) you want for the formal dances (first dance, parents' dance, bridal party dance). Pick what you want to hear when you enter the reception. Other than that, the pro DJ will take care of bidniss. You should be able to get references/video, even ask to see him/her in action at another reception (many allowed that in the past). Pick someone you're comfortable with and guess what? You won't have to worry about what gets played.

Also, the happy couple isn't going to have all that much time to worry about tunes. You're going to spend the VAST majority of your time with your guests, speaking with friends and family that you may not get to see often (turned out the last time we got to see three people was at our reception so be sure to make the rounds to everyone invited, at least for a few moments). I can't understand people who get paranoid about the music list. You have enough to worry about at that point.

That said, Mrs. Fly and I had the following (ceremony and reception at the same location):

Ceremony music from was Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.

Reception Entrance: Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash
    First Dance: Feels Like Home, Chantal Kreviazuk
    Parent Dance: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong
    Bridal Party Dance: Don't Dream It's Over, Crowded House
    Final Dance: Wonderful World, Joey Ramone
    Do Not Play List: Anything with vulgarity or potential vulgarity (ie: Mony Mony), Who Let the Dogs Out, Achy Breaky

Sure there was some fromage played...but the songs with the most people on the dance floor, having the most fun, were mainly the cheeseball ones. To me and my wife, it wasn't about us. It was about a great party with our friends and family. The ceremony can be all about the bride and groom. The reception is a bash for everyone to enjoy, not a concert featuring only songs we want to hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted