1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Sure it does. But I don't think that has anything to do with him buying any sort of gift or not...or attending, really. They're paying for him to enjoy (presumably) free food and beverages. A person may not choose that sort of wedding for himself, but who is he/she to judge how other people choose to celebrate their marriage?

2. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Your friends will take note that you were there and didn't bring a gift. Trust me. I was married nine years ago and I can remember who gave me what almost to a T. You don't want to be known as the cheap guy on top of the guy who blew off the reception. Give something, anything.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Absolutely. And in no way do I condone what Dude is considering here. I think it's a pretty douchebag move. Just saying I agree with that particular sentiment.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great. Dude, have you met Cadet? Cadet - Dude.

Another successful match! [/crossthread]

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I say, because you're going to the ceremony, you should give something. If you're not going to any part of the wedding or reception and you send in the no card, you're not obligated to buy a gift. I have done this several times.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People are lazy, unthinking spenders in every facet of life.

Our wedding was under $1,500 and it was awesome.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Same here.

8. Was in a wedding this summer and somehow, all the bridesmaids were either engaged or marries with five single groomsmen. Needless to say, none of us got any that night.

And along the same lines, if you're asked to be in someone's wedding, should you still give a gift? I mean, I spent $140 on my tux for the wedding. My sister said a gift wasn't necessary since I was paying for my tux, but I still obligated to do something. So I bought the groom (my best friend) a bottle of Jack Daniels, and his wife a bottle of her favorite wine. Did I do too much?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nah. You done good.

10. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

For anyone that cares. Ceremony was attended. Half hour of life was wasted. $100 gift was given. Reception was skipped.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I want to be your friend. I don't think I got a $100 gift from anyone who didn't contribute to my genetic makeup.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wow. Well, hope it was a nice ceremony?

Draft saved Draft deleted