1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding Etiquette Dilemna

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These days, $25K is low... I'm going to a friend's wedding in a few weeks that will cost three times that...

I loved my wedding, one of the happiest days of my life, but there's a lot to be said for eloping...

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Back in the mists of time when I was single, the last thing I'd want to do is bring a date to a wedding.

If  you know everybody there and she doesn't know a soul, then you can spend your whole time making sure she's having a good time and then she gets pissed because you're spending too much time talking to your friends and she wants to leave,  blah, blah, blah.

Besides, how can you possibly hit on the bridesmaids?  :)

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What did they do, rent out all of Disneyland for the event? Or are they flying each and every guest to Hawaii on the bride's family's dime?

Where does that money go? I mean, if you can't get a great quality wedding done for 25-30 K these days, then maybe those who hold the purse strings should cut them.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe the smartest thing I've ever read on this board. Trust me. Your bride thinks she wants a big fancy wedding when you pop the question and the whole thing is like a year or more away. But as the date approaches and she finds out how nerve wracking and stressful the whole thing is she will wish you just eloped. But for the love of God don't say "I told you so."

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do what you can afford.

But, please, please, please, under no circumstances have a cash bar.

It takes "tacky" to a whole new level.

6. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Not to pile on, but the whiny guy is an idiot.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's now a "moron" and an "idiot".

MUST be a SportsJournalists.commer. :)

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I've never understood the need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a wedding.

Mr. Rosie and I had a small church wedding and a picnic-type reception.

I wouldn't have traded it for any huge production.

As for the original question, if it's a formal wedding, a longtime significant other should be extended an invitation, a new girlfriend should not.

9. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Okay, I agree with that. Mrs. Rosie, you're my dream girl. I hope eventually the girl I marry will want to simple wedding like that. Or, better yet, just go sign some contract with me at the courthouse and call it a marriage. ;D

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Two reasons the better half and I are doing a cash bar (aside from the toast):
    One, money is an issue to us. We don't have the funds to drop what could be several thousand extra dollars (my sister got married earlier this year, and just having an open bar for an hour and a half cost them $2,000).
    Secondly, her parents do not drink. It would be disrespectful to them -- moreso considering they are helping us out on the thing -- to promote people to get drunk on us.
    I don't think it's tacky. Wedding Chapel by the Sea, that's tacky.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what fucking planet does that last commenter live on? the best solution is the passive aggressive one of not asking and not even going to the wedding? jesus.

that said, i would totally disagree with mizzou's take that it's inappropriate to ask, but if the couple says you can't bring someone, then don't bring someone. how is that complicated. a wedding belongs to the couple getting married. they (or their family) are paying for it and have control over who shows up. i can't understand how anyone would automatically assume they can bring a date.

and JR, i agree with you. i've never understood why single people even want to bring a date - unless it's a girlfriend - to a wedding of your friends or family. why would you want to bring a stranger to a gathering of you and your close friends and/or family?

Draft saved Draft deleted