1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding attire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Dec 28, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I really just sighed.

Again.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Here's an example of how I picture the "rules are now stretched in NY or LA" for formal wear ... See Julian McMahon's [YUM!] attire on the left.
    [​IMG]

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Can paisley ever be considered formal or semiformal?

[​IMG]

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think somebody else's wedding isn't the place to make a fashion statement that says, "I am too cool to wear a tie." I think the point is to show proper respect for someone else's major life event, and donning a greasy-clubber look doesn't cut it. Simple suit, simple tie -- you risk offending no one and it really won't kill ya to do it for a few hours. A wedding is a multi-generational event and there's no reason besides vanity to make granny think you're the bridegroom's coke dealer.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Totally agree with you, Frank_R. I was pointing out how some folks see the "new formal."

Speaking of wedding attire etiquette, I was a bridesmaid in a wedding once and two sisters of the groom BOTH wore ALL white. A big no-no. I was shocked, and they acted like it was no big deal.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Simple is usually best. Dark suit with a tie.

Nothing against you, CR, but it surprises me that more people don't know how to dress for occasions like weddings or funerals. Or that they don't care how they dress for those occasions

I grew up being taught that I had to wear a suit and tie for job interviews, weddings and funerals. You dress like an adult.

Yet, it seems like there are people who either don't know or don't care how they appear. In the past year, I was at a funeral where a 25-year-old dude showed up, meeting his girlfriend's family for the first time, wearing a hoodie with ripped jeans and skater shoes. This guy went around, offering heartfelt condolences and the family had the same basic thought: Look at this fucking guy.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Weddings are a good opportunity to get a hook-up out of any. I had fun at the one I brought up in my earlier post. It ended with me and my catch in the pool that night. Enjoy yourself CradleRobber!

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I was at a wedding a summer ago where a girl did that, too. I don't know much about weddings -- hell, I can't even tie my own tie -- but I know you don't do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted