1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Webster's World Cup Adventure

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Totally jealous, but thanks for posting your account! I love all the insider stories you can't get through Cup coverage.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Congratulations on a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The Wal-Mart, I mean.

Was wondering also what everyone;s take is: can the US host 2010? Not based on stadia, because we can. And not "Gee, I HOPE so!" because yes, we all agree.

But is scuttlebutt that South Africa won't be able to handle it? Not among fans, but among those in the know?

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I talked with a couple of people who seemed to know what they were talking about. I don't think that it much more than speculation, but FIFA runs a tight ship and the word that I was hearing was that South Africa was well behind where they were supposed to be at this stage.

4. KP

KP Active Member

This thread is useless without pictures of the women prowling around German cities. ;D

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

watching the game on saturday i turned to my friends and said, 'are they chanting bullshit' -- the consensus was they couldn't be. glad to know i was right

6. HoopsMcCann

more fuckin' yankees talking shit about things they have no idea about. go to the grove and say that shit again, ignorant yankee bitch

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The US supporters sections were behind (and to the left) of Keller in the second half. The BS chants were a combination of the DMB goal being ruled offsides and the umpteenth Italy player rolling around the pitch needing treatment. As the Italian player was being treated on the field, the fans began chanting and Keller was encouring us to be louder. When the Italian player was taken off to the other side of the pitch, Keller's goal kick was aimed right at him. That led to yet another chant of "Kasey Keller" from the US group.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Inky, I think you struck a goldmine nerve.

9. HoopsMcCann

nope... just pointing out ignorant bullshit

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The concerns are World Cup-worthy stadia, other facilities and, most importantly, security. Colombia was supposed to have hosted a World Cup, but it got moved to Mexico because of security concerns.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hoops, Inky was being sarcastic. He's as far from a Yankee as it gets. Sorry to shatter you.

Draft saved Draft deleted