1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

website problem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writestuff1, Sep 25, 2010.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

A friend of mine and I started a website devoted to area high school football. My background is writing and my friend has been in TV for many years. Neither one of us is a tech expert. We had someone build us a site and someone else has taken over posting stories and video for us, etc. We have run across a problem that we can't figure out and was wondering if anyone out there might have some suggestions. My friend has shot some great video. When we post it, however, only about 50 percent of the people can see it. I can see it. My sister who lives in another town can see it. A friend of mine is unable to see it either from his work computer or his home computer. My friend in the venture is unable to see it from home on his other job's computer. We are at a loss as to why this is happening. Does anyone have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Not long ago Internet Explorer got an update and switched to needing a different HTML embed code for video. I came across this problem a little while back when I was trying to post a couple videos to my portfolio site and they would work in Chrome and Firefox but not Explorer. That might be your problem, and if it is, you can Google a couple Explorer-specific HTML coding fixes that aren't too difficult to paste in there.

If you don't have any background in HTML and what I just said makes no sense, just mention that to who ever is running your site and they might be able to figure out if that's the problem.
  3. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Thanks MonsterLobster. I have Explorer and I can get the video no problem. My friend mentioned having Firefox and it not working. If that's the problem, or something similar, is there something we can do on our end so that when we post, others can see it no problem.? We know there's a problem, but I readers do not, so they have no reason to go out and fix a problem they don't even perceive they may have. It would be better if there is a solution on our end. Maybe we need a new way of posting?
  4. Well, it sounds like that HTML coding may be the problem then as Explorer and the Firefox/Chrome/etc. embed codes don't match up now. The easiest way around that is to convert the videos to a Flash file (.swf) and have your Web guy set up code for a Flash player on the site as all browsers use Flash. I'm pretty amateur when it comes to some of the new-ish web design stuff (I stopped keeping up in the early 2000s), so I'm not a ton of help with troubleshooting.

If you're uploading your videos to YouTube first, you can embed them into your website, too. I'm not really sure how you have things set up, but talk to whoever set the site up for you about getting an update on that issue. Here's an article that explains a little about this embed code controversy I was talking about and offers up some code to place YouTube videos into your site so they may be played on any browser and some possible solutions to continue posting other video formats you may already be using.

5. Oh, also, when I was having this issue with my portfolio, a web designer friend of mine suggested I just find a javascript video embed code that, like Flash, would work on all browsers. I never got around to looking into it, but that might be a solution, too.
  6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Have the people clear their cookies. I know that sounds dumb, but that solved like 50 percent of the online reader complaints at the last place I worked.

There is a possibility that when they are calling up the site, an old version is showing and not the updated current page. This happens to me at Deadspin.com for some reason. If I go to the homepage, I may get a page that was up 2 weeks ago. I have to clear the browsing history and and the cookies and refresh and it works. Obviously this is just one example of what clearing the history can do. I've seen it fix all sorts of weird things (as strange as it sounds).
Draft saved Draft deleted