1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

website numbers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Aug 1, 2012.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've managed to find some info on page views and unique visitors for bigger papers but having trouble with smaller papers (i.e., 10,000 circulation and under). does anyone have a clue about what kind of numbers are good and what should be a concern?

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

My old paper (circulation under 10k) had 10-20,000 a day depending on the news.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I'm at a twice-a-week paper that ranges from 20,000 to 35,000 a day. Like Cubbie said, it depends on what's posted. A breaking story, especially crime, means many more hits.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

If you set up a Facebook page for your newspaper or sports section that can help monitor what readers are looking at somewhat. I put links to our main stories on Facebook, and you can get a read of what is driving discussion and what is being shared. For me, Little League is popular this time of year, while football dominates the fall and wrestling seems to make a surprising impact in the winter months.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Here is the site that video game companies use to decide if they will send you review copies to your newspaper. http://www.alexa.com/

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Alexa, as Precious Roy points out, is really easy to use and offers comparisons. It's also good for cruising through Block Island Sound.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

we're using facebook and twitter. every story on the site gets a link w/ opening graf on facebook and a corresponding tweet. have no print product as we are online only and a startup at that. yes, i'm crazy but at least if we're successful, the profits won't go anywhere but our own bank accounts.

Draft saved Draft deleted