1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Website Copy Editing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, if only this were the case.

AP moved a story on the wire yesterday, meaning it had ALREADY been edited, with a closing quote of something like "We were do for a victory."

Let that sink in for a minute.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I had to call AP three times the other day because of things they sent over that had factual errors in them requiring new writethroughs to be posted, including missing first references on proper names.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sadly, this is the new mantra. It will the easiest way to save money when we go all online. Have perhaps one copy editor, whose duties probably will involve think thanking more than copy editing. Suddenly the new buzz sentence is there is no need for copy editing. The readers will do the editing and it will make them feel important and add to the clicks. Sad. Copy editors are great.

4. Dreadful. I see more elementary-level writing move across the wire all the time. People should be ashamed of themselves.

5. Are you a copy editor, sir? Because if you read your post twice before you hit Submit, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Learn how to write.

6. ripple

ripple Member

Geez. Harsh much?

I feel fairly certain that if this was meant for publication, and not a post on a message board, the poster would have been more careful.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I, uh....

Oh, not really a moron ... just overly cynical in an era that DESERVES cynicism, and also kind of a one-note guy....

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

OM gosh. Are you serious? On message boards I write fast n furious and last I checked there was no spell check clicker.
    I am passionate about this issue. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted