1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Website Copy Editing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I have never understood why Web is capitalized in Web site or Website. I know it's part of the World Wide Web, but it's not like there is only one website in the world. It should be lower case, just like blogs!

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

And it should be one word: website. That would prevent anyone from wanting to hyphenate the dang word one day. I hate hyphens.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will never ever ever ever ever say it should be website. Ever. Ever.

Ever. :D

And I know what Heineken was talking about specifically, SF. Mira was much more open, and people who rip Web site things read sometimes as those hanging on to the old days of newspapers before the big, bad internet came in and changed everything.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I heard that the new trend is get this, no editing whatsoever for online copy.
    The new buzzword will be to "let the readers be the copy editors," to correct the mistakes in their comments sections. It will make them feel empowered and add clicks.
    I thought I heard everything; now I have heard everything. This is a way to justify getting rid of almost all copy editors.

You may think Fredrick is a moron, but I swear I've heard this now from three different individuals, one of whom is an industry leader in NEW MEDIA. I laughed in her face.

5. doug_funnie

doug_funnie New Member

Web site is probably capitalized for the same reason Internet is capitalized. It just is.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well that should work out just fine until somebody decides to contact a lawyer for libel.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought it was supposed to be an oxymoron.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why did you laugh in her face?

Bottom line is that copy editors are disposable. At least until the powers-that-be find out that they aren't.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

We live in a society where it's considered elitist to spell correctly. So the copy editors are the first out, because no one clicks on good grammar, and if they did, there aren't enough clicks to care.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Cause for many years copy editors were considered vital. Copy editors made more than reporters. Copy editors were needed.
    I laughed at her for believing copy doesn't need to be read. Now when we go all online, the reporters will be told to damn well make no mistakes, yet if you do make a mistake, it'll be the readers who correct the mistakes via the comments section. Libel? It'll be the reporter's ass.
    With newspapers soon to go online only, don't you think it would be wise for all the well established beat writers and/or columnists to quit, get a major advertiser or two and simply open their own sports niche website?
    I mean what advantage will the newspaper have w/out the print product behind it? It used to be newspapers could freeze out upstart competitors by lowering ad rates, etc. If it's all online, with all pup reporters making 18-25000 a year, what advantage does an online newspaper have over some person breaking out on his/her own especially when that person breaking out on his own is so much better than the low paid pup working for the newspaper?
    I think in 10 years there will be no print editions of newspapers and most internet newspapers will quickly go out of business.

11. Rucker

Rucker New Member

Copy editors are still vital. What they need is a little more sense of urgency. Online stuff needs to be edited/proofed/whatever asap, not when they get around to it.

12. Copy editors shouldn't be editing for spelling and grammar errors. Writers should know what they're doing in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted