1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weber State beat writer — The Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Utah)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LOL! Thanks.

2. Joel Marlou

Joel Marlou New Member

If anyone is still interested, I got an initial email saying they liked my stuff, then asked me to do a creative exercise.

I got a third email on Sunday saying they were moving on.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't work for these fuckers.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Looks like his old shop was already in the hiring process with his replacement, so because of this whole thing he's now a free agent. Ridiculous.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Paper was bought by Ogden Newspapers, run by the Nuttings.

Ogden makes Gatehouse and Gannett look good. I feel bad for the kid who had a new job pulled out from underneath, but he dodged a bullet.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And he was in Flagstaff, so he was trying to flee Lee.

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Yikes.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that scene in "The Crying Game" where the guy escapes the IRA and then gets run over by a truck.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Said in Twitter he was offered his job back but felt it would be uncomfortable to return after quitting.

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t let that bother me. We’ve had a few people turn in their two weeks then change their minds. One guy traveled to rent an apartment in his new place 10 or so days before he was supposed to start there but didn’t like the area and didn’t get a good vibe from the staff and company. They had to cancel a “welcome to town” lunch they had scheduled. ... that sucks to do to someone who just hired you, no question, and we gave him plenty of shit about it, but we were thrilled to have him back.

Anyway, hope something works out for this guy. That’s a shitty situation.

Tweener likes this.
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess that's on him if he didn't want to go back. Probably awkward to go back after you've quit, but still better than being unemployed. Rough situation all around.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I worked at the Flagstaff paper for eight years and left in 2005 right when Lee took over. It was not easy to hire people there, just due to the cost of living and the low pay, though we managed to hire some really talented people. Knowing the ME there, I easily see why he would A) understand why someone would move on and B) be eager to welcome him back without going through another hiring process. Randy Wilson is a first-class guy.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I guess the details probably matter. If he wasn't there very long, I could see it being tough to go back. But I can't imagine all but the pettiest of folks being angry or creating serious awkwardness for a young reporter who was just trying to take the next step

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted