1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web sports editor, Billings, Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can I help?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Of course. I'll let you start.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't care what the dork says, yes, SC, you are correct. billings is hideous.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

any idea on salary?

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

If I were describing Billings to someone who knows nothing about the area, I'd say you could do much worse.
    There's actually some decent clubs/bars , three colleges, four high schools, minor league baseball and hockey teams, and the biggest arena in the state in the MetraPark.
    I think Tool played there a few years back and Nickleback played there this February.
    It's not like Missoula or maybe even Boise, but there's always something happening.
    There's not many mountains nearby, just weird looking rimrocks, but the Yellowstone River is pretty close if your looking for some good fishing.
    That's it I'm done.

6. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

My folks just moved back to Billings. I lived there when I was real little. You could do a lot worse. They're always doing something downtown in the summer. They block off the street and bring in bands to play. They do a farmers market-type of deal or micro brews.

It can get surprisingly hot in the summer (for Montana anyway, we're talking upper 90s). And, of course, it's cold as shit from October to April.

The town is hideous depending on what part you live in, it's real spread out, though. The south end has a couple of oil refineries in it, which stink to high heaven. You don't notice when you're downtown or up north, though.

Cost of living is low, Denver's like five hours away plus no sales tax in Montana. The school system sucks across the board in Montana. The state's teachers are horribly underpaid and the schools themselves are pretty neglected. If you have kids I'd look elsewhere.

If you like sports and outdoors this job could be a nice surprise. The paper isn't bad. I bought a couple copies while I was there for Christmas. I thought the writing needed a lot of help - as in, I work at a smaller shop, I'm green as hell and I was picking out mistakes.

There's a lot to write about, though. The Mustangs (Red's Rookie League club) are probably the biggest draw there. They get a new stadium next year.

7. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Unless Denver has moved an hour south of Casper, it's more like 8-9 hours away.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Little known fact: T.J. Simers got his start with Hagadone newspapers, Coeur d'Alene and Beloit, Wis.

Draft saved Draft deleted