1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web sports editor, Billings, Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 10, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Billingsgazette.com, the award-winning Web site of The Billings Gazette, seeks a sports oriented, creative and Web savvy individual to manage and enhance our online sports coverage. This includes planning coverage for important tournaments and games, maintaining the prep stats package, improving day-to-day presentation and actively participating in shooting video, writing and editing when necessary.
    Our ideal candidate will possess a four-year degree in journalism or a technology-related field, be experienced in online news gathering and reporting and have a strong knowledge of scoring, stats, etc. for various sports. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to deal with multiple objectives and timelines and close attention to detail are all a must. Should also be familiar with HTML and Web design and must be comfortable with recording technology including audio and video recorders. Prior experience with audio/video interviewing and editing, news reporting and writing experience are also desirable. This position offers competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including medical/dental/life insurance, 401(k), employee stock plan, paid vacations & sick time. Please apply online at http://www.apply-to.com/job2805593. You may upload samples of your work with your resume or send a resume, cover letter and copy of your portfolio to: Human Resources – OLSC P.O. Box 36300 Billings, MT 59107 Position closes: 5/4/07 EOE

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Billings is hideous. Paper's not bad though.

3. Does it have heated floor exfoliation? (see left)

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So, this is strictly a web gig? Or are you the sports editor who's still responsible for a bunch of web stuff?

5. sportschick

To my knowledge, the SE is still there, so this is most likely a web-only gig.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I wouldn't say Billings is hideous.
    It's better than Pocatello.
    It's actually a happening place, Montana's biggest city too. So that's something.

7. sportschick

Having lived in Missoula and near Whitefish, Billings is hideous.

And biggest city is relative. Montana the state doesn't have a million people, just so people don't go thinking its some huge metropolis.

8. jakewriter82

I still stand by saying it's not hideous.
    It's not a huge metropolis, but for Montana it is.
    We could argue all night on whether it's a nice place or not.
    I have family in both Missoula and Billings, so I appreciate the good and bad parts of both places.
    This is actually a good job, though.
    The Gazette has a lot of readers all over Eastern Montana and into northern Wyoming.

9. sportschick

I did say it was decent paper, for the record. See my first post on this thread.

10. jakewriter82

I'm just agreeing with you.
    It's a Lee newspaper, so better than Hagadone or Gannett. Not much better, though.
    I was told by a writer there that they usually don't have sports openings so this one is a little surprising.

11. sportschick

Oh God . . . Hagadone . . . let me count the ways I hate you.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought everyone agreed on a different thread that anywhere is better than Pocatello?

Draft saved Draft deleted