1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web site work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mojo20205, Oct 1, 2006.

1. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

I've been covering preps/local features for seven months. I have tons of game stories but I also shoot video and photos for our Web site. Any potential out there??

Worked at a TV station once... hated it...all douche bags...

I would imagine it has some weight. (Not the douche bags, the experience)

Any cool gigs??

2. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

You're hired!

3. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

I'm going to assume this is a serious post, though it lacks specifics to the point that it is difficult to distill what Mr. Mojo is asking.

Mojo, seven months experience isn't much, and since you are writing, shooting, recording and posting I'll take a wild guess that you work for a weekly/alt-weekly. As for the TV station experience, the value depends on what you did during your stay. Segment producer? Maybe. Intern? Not so much.

There are plenty of cool jobs out there. Just keep in mind that the ability to post video and photos on a Web site isn't a rare skill anymore. With today's Web tools, almost anyone can shoot, record, edit and post with very little training. As with writing, those that get the best jobs show that extra ability to not only produce, but produce greatness frequently and on tight deadline.

This isn't meant to discourage you. But the path to success on the multimedia side is the same as anywhere else - either bust your hump, or come up with the great ideas that generate readership/traffic/cash.

Hope this helps.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pray. For. Mojo.

Draft saved Draft deleted