1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web site rankings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Speedway

Speedway Member

Is there a reliable, up-to-date source that ranks web site in terms of their readership? It's easy to find newspaper circulation data, but the sources for website rankings seem harder to find.

In particular, I am after a ranking of the sports web sites. With all the movement lately, how do Yahoo Sports, espn.com, AOL Sports, sportsline.com, etc compare in terms of readership?

Appreciate any assistance here.

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Just like with newspapers, there are several places that 'rank' website readership. One of the most reliable - one that helps set advertising rates - is comScore.

The numbers are out around the 10th of every month. They are not made public, but if you have a friend inside, you can get them. We have posted them around this time for the last 4-5 months. I have not seen a comprehensive list anywhere else. If you google 'the big lead and comscore' you should find what you're looking for.

In terms of unique visitors, Fox Sports has one win this year (February?) and Yahoo has two (i think). ESPN has won the rest.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Great way to advertise your web site to someone there big lead. Solid marketing.

4. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

just trying to help

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Something like http://www.alexa.com/?

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

alexa is one, technorati is another, google analytics is another ... but apparently advertisers are going to comScore first.

This is probably because the other three (and the dozens of others) are all very random. Sportsline, for instance, might be 4th in alexa but 10th in technorati and 8th in google analytics.

Draft saved Draft deleted