1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web site censoring? You've got to be kidding me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Granny, Oct 3, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Our shop not only censors reader comments, but our stories as well.

So this is what I wake up to the day after filing a column from a vollyeball match:

"Thanks to Jenny JoeBob's ####, the Podunk Pudpullers beat ..."

The word in question was dink. Dink. Fucking dink. Now what looks worse? How the hell do I come across with that? Like The Granny is sitting there writing about high-school girls' ####s.

It gets better, the words "hell" (um, coaches tend to say that and whilst I'm very judicious in using it, it gets used in quotes every now and again) and "mick" (um, we have two basketball players whose first names are "Mick.") are also on "the list."

Don't get me started on what this is going to do to a news department that covers rape cases and a growing gang problem. (Gangbanger is on "the list.")

Anybody else dealing with this bull####?

EDIT: Sorry Mods, this may work best on the Journalism Topics board. Can you move it please, my bad.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know of sites censoring words, like ******** .com :)

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

OneNewsNow

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

One of the greatest gaffs of all time. And the story continued on, replacing "gay" with "homosexual" every time.

The Granny, you did more than just complain about it here, right? You have to go to your boss or bosses or the web people and tell them this needs to be fixed, like yesterday.

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Of course, my boss had pushed it up the pipeline. Good news is, our company's flagship paper supposedly moves to this filter by the end of the month. When that metro starts seeing #####, I'm sure it will change. It's just a shame it, in reality, will have to wait that long.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

My favorite was when the LA Times opera critic called a production "a glorious and goofy pro-life paean". Yep, they changed it to anti-abortion.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Granny really typed "bootsed it" but the censoring software changed it. It's fixed now. :D

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Because that would be so out of character for you. :D

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quit being a dink...

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I like Granny. She's cool and doesn't deserve to be censored. Stories of grampa's package and glass dildos are amusing. But for the love of all that is holy, I am all for censoring that avatar.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I feel the same way about Dixiehack's avatar

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Laugh all you want. But glass is the only thing I will ever stick up my ###### while the Grandpa takes his ##### while I'm jerking his #### and watching the two midgets in the corner ##### on my #### while I, with my other hand ####.

##### I ### love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted