1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Publisher/Editor, High School Sports The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brock Sawyer, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I wonder if there's a reason this guy wouldn't put a link to his web site here?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's the word i'm looking for?

3. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

If you are interested in this job, discuss it. If not, move along to another thread.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

www.hsstm.com it is also available in the first post in the guys email.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

So I sent in my resume and clips for the Los Angeles market and since he has not made the pay official here on the forums when we asked, I will post part of what I got from him.

"Our pay at this time is $250 a month with opportunity to make money off of local advertisers who want to support your work. The entire time I was with Rivals, I never made more than $120 a month. This is meant to be a supplemental income at this time. As we bring on print magazine franchises into your area, there is an absolute possibility of this working into a full time job depending on the franchise partner."

$250 a month for a 5 day work week not inluding going to games, talking to parents etc etc

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i guess that's going to cut a lotta guys out of even considering making a few bucks on the side. five days and $250? wow.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Sorry it says in the first post that its 6-8 stories a week. So guess you could do most of the stuff in one day and just post them thoughout the week. But $250 is to low for most people including some college grads.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

But hey, where else can you write 1500 words in three or four sentences, as he said he wanted?

$250 is slave labor, considering what this guy wants.

Here's one way to look at it: a lot of smaller papers will charge $35 per story on a freelance basis.

Consider you do the low end, six stories per week for this "publication." For one month, that's 24 stories at $35 per, equals to $840.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's SOP to discuss pay in private discussions or interviews, but not in a public forum. People here should know better than to give the guy static about that.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

When the pay is standard, the expectation of discretion is fine. When it's presented on a professional site as a come on to earn a few bucks an hour, then exposing it is helpful.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Point taken, goalmouth. I wondered about such discussion but thought it was fair, seeing that Mr. Sawyer was posting a rather massive workload in the name of "supplemental income." Some numbers were really needed to get some context, imo. If he wants to chime in again and explain further he's more than welcome.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Have anyone heard from this guy since his last post???

I think letting the cat out of the bag might have made him rethink his idea for sites in all of the above markets.

I say $500 is the min you could pay someone for the work he wants this web editor/photographer and writer to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted