1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Publisher/Editor, High School Sports The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brock Sawyer, Dec 20, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When employers say they want someone "passionate," it often is code for "you won't be paid shit, but we know you're too proud to mail it in and you'll still do a good job, anyway."

2. eroc

eroc New Member

Hello, I am new to this website and am a recent college graduate with a BA in Journalism. So far, I have been unsuccessful in landing that first job. I have been applying anywhere and everywhere. I have only been able to secure three interviews (one via phone), but nothing has materialized. Do any of you have some advice for me in my search?

Brock - I am currently living in Orlando, Florida so the Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
    area sounds good to me. I also lived in Buffalo for a short time and have family who live there, so the Buffalo area sounds good as well. Either way I am definitely be interested in either one of these two areas. Let me know if anything is still available and I will send you a cover letter, resume, and a few of my clips.

Thanks.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

People have actually been quite cordial in regards to this "opportunity." You should be thankful.

What is so difficult about putting the pay rate up front?

4. eroc

eroc New Member

As much as pay is important to me, judging from all the comments I've read in this thread and the explanation about this job opportunity, it doesn't really bother me how much the pay is for this job. I just want to gain some much needed journalism experience apart from my internship and college experience. Hopefully this guy will respond either to this thread and/or my emails.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I actually agree with your comments 100% and this may not be the job that a 10 year veteran of the industry would take but its perfect for someone that has a few years experience. I say this specially because of of the online part of what you will be doing. Since you don't have to worry about a print schedule it will be alot easier and you can get a few college interns to work for you as contributiors.

This is not alot of work if you pick a city that has alot of High School. I have sent my resume and clips in for Los Angeles since I already have alot of contacts here.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

you're hired!

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

eroc, use this as a lesson as you enter the field. It's a very big red flag if a company does not reveal where they are located at OR doesn't reveal the pay structure.

And it's an even bigger red flag if the person responds to all other questions EXCEPT the pay one.

There have been many people on the board who do freelance type work for web sites, papers, etc., expect to get paid and that pay never comes.

This may or may not be one of those cases, but you do have to tread carefully when dealing with web sites, especially fairly new ones.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Or ...

Anyone who is this enthusiastic to work would get a long look from me.

Don't lose the attitude, eroc. Regardless of what you're told.

I'll only agree with this -- make sure you have all the answers before you make a move.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And make sure you're going to get paid.

Writing just for experience and clips won't feed you very long.

10. eroc

eroc New Member

I agree with you guys. I definitely want to get paid for whatever work I do for a newspaper and/or website. Right now I am taking some online masters courses in addition to looking for a job to go along with my major. I am also working some at a local head shop, but it doesn't pay much. What I am looking for basically is to get some more recent clips so when I do apply for a job, the person doesn't wonder why I haven't had anything printed in so long. I just hope I can get a job by at least March. Even though I read somewhere online that it typically takes a journalism grad up to nine months to secure a job, but most of my journalism buddies already have a journalism job of some sorts so it kind of sucks that I haven't been able to find anything yet.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

"So, Mr. Swimdick, how do you think your son performed today?"

"Swimmy works so hard. He gets up at 5 every morning because he's such a hard worker and just loves to swim because it's such hard work."

"Sir, with all due respect, he got lapped by everyone in the 50 free."

By the way, I would love to interview parents of the worst players on every team.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You mean the type of joint that sells bongs and flavored rolling papers? Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted