1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Publisher/Editor, High School Sports The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brock Sawyer, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Brock Sawyer

Brock Sawyer New Member

High School Sports The Magazine is a rapidly growing network of print magazines. We currently have print magazines in 14 markets across the country and are looking to expand into the top 50 markets in the next 6 months and are looking for Web Publishers/Editors in each of the markets. Our business is to highlight the positives of these high school student athletes. We cover all sports in each local market, not just the majors like football and basketball. We have recently undergone a grand re-design of all of our sites and have gone from just over 1.5 million in the Alexa rankings to 297,000 since October 27th. Our weekly ranking is 89,000 and growing. We have had 1,328,761 hits from December 2-20th.

I am currently taking resumes for Web Editors that have experience in web publishing. HTML knowledge preferred, but not required. You must have contacts in your local market, the ability to attend games and interview players, coaches, parents, and athletic directors. This is not a full time job. Expectations are as follows:

6-8 stories a week
    Photos must accompany the stories. You can get them from different sources that you work with.
    Message board interaction
    Daily blogs
    Team of the week, player of the week blurbs

There are other details that I can discuss with you in more detail. This is a perfect job for someone looking to supplement their income. This could possibly work into a full time gig with a print franchisee as we move forward.

Please contact me with your resumes and any questions.

This is an extremely exciting time to be a part of HSSTM.com. Come join the team! Hiring NOW!

Brock.Sawyer@hsstm.com

2. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

what areas do you cover, where are you looking for people to fill, what do you pay (ballpark)?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What is this about interviewing parents?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

6-8 stories a week
    Photos must accompany the stories. You can get them from different sources that you work with.
    Message board interaction
    Daily blogs
    Team of the week, player of the week blurbs

WTF would you consider full-time work?

5. Obviously they're looking for someone to work basically full-time, but they want the people to be independent contractors so they don't have to pay them a set salary and give them those all important and expensive benefits.

6. Brock Sawyer

Brock Sawyer New Member

This sounds like alot of work, but if you are spending more than an hour or two a day on the site, that's not what we want. We currently employ many people who are working for a news agency or another site that double dip and supply content to both.

The stories need only be 200-500 words. Maybe a 2-3 paragraphs. Nothing that is a major feature piece.

Daily blogs - these are reserved for your opinion about anything. Everybody gives their opinion about different things, why not take 15 minutes and put it into a blog for everyone to read?

Team of the Week and Player of the Week aren't features. Just blurbs and what I mean about that...100 words max.

When I mention that we also interview parents, we do. You can read all of our print magazines online in a digital format. You will see different features in there that we do every month, like Triple Play and Family Affair. These are features that can also be used by the Web Editors. Not required, but it's ok to get quotes from parents, kids, coaches, and ADs.

We are looking to fill positions in:
    New York
    Los Angeles
    Chicago
    Philadelphia
    Boston (Manchester)
    San Francisco-Oak-San Jose
    Washington, DC
    Atlanta
    Detroit
    Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota)
    Seattle-Tacoma
    Phoenix (Prescott)
    Minneapolis
    Cleveland-Akron
    Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
    Denver
    Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
    Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
    St. Louis
    Pittsburgh
    Portland, OR
    Baltimore
    Indianapolis
    San Diego
    Charlotte
    Hartford & New Haven
    Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville)
    Nashville
    Kansas City
    Columbus, OH
    Milwaukee
    Cincinnati
    Greenville-Asheville
    Salt Lake City
    San Antonio
    West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce
    Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo
    Birmingham (Tuscaloosa)
    Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York
    Norfolk-Portsmith-Newport News
    New Orleans
    Memphis
    Albuquerque-Santa Fe
    Greensboro-Winston Salem
    Las Vegas
    Buffalo
    Austin

If you don't see your city on here, please let me know and we'll evaluate the population and businesses in that area and possibly move forward.

Like I mentioned before. I am only asking for a story a day and a blog daily. No more than an hour to two hours of work.

Holler if you have any questions. Thanks.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've seen this magazine at my local supermarket on the free-stuff racks. It's pretty good. I recognized several of the bylines as local tv/radio guys. But I guess I'd wonder how many newspaper prep reporters could get away with blogging on their beat for someone other than the paper.

Of course, everything has its price...I too would be curious what that is for a daily blog and story. Brock?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, three 150-word paragraphs is what you're talking?

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Brock:
    No matter how you parse your job description, length of stories, etc., what you describe is a good 35-40 hours of work a week. That's a fulltime job, pal, and skating around that is pretty lame.

You say an hour or two a day "on the site." Well, how many hours have to be spent "offsite" going to games/practices, doing interviews, making phone calls, doing online research in some cases taking photos and uploading, etc. so that you can have some content on hand to write about?

Do you expect this stuff to just pour out of a stringer's head like some sort of insta-expertise?

Anyone with experience can see that you are minimizing the job requirements to draw people in to work for $10 an hour without bennies, and then you will suck them dry playing on their career aspirations to get as much bang for your buck as you can and therefore satisfy your investors.

Give it to us straight, okay?

10. Brock Sawyer

Brock Sawyer New Member

Here's the straight....we put out a monthly magazine which is the crux of our business. We have franchisees around the country that have to put together a monthly 100 page magazine, sell ads, attend games, etc. On top of that, they also have to maintain the website. After my over 5 years at Rivals.com and the feedback from our current franchisees, the expectations have been laid out along with the time requirements as well. I'm not out to screw anybody. We are just looking for people who are passionate about what they do and want to be the person to launch new markets.

No need to bust balls. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, please contact me. If not, no problem, there are other positions on this board that you can pursue. No need to bad mouth an opportunity that you clearly don't have of the info.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not everyone's a ball-buster here, Brock. But, in your words, we clearly don't have all of the info, and I'd say a relevant piece of info would be the pay. Lots of folks who read these threads are interested in regular opportunities to write, and for something this demanding (and no matter how you parse it, writing EVERY day is a significant commitment) it's not unreasonable to ask about money up front.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so M-E-0-W, the cat's out of the bag.

also, is that a go with the three 150-word paragraphs?

Draft saved Draft deleted