1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web/print copy editor, Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kiskahdawg, May 7, 2008.

1. kiskahdawg

kiskahdawg New Member

The Houston Chronicle's award-winning and fast-paced sports department is looking for an experienced copy editor with the ability to make good stories great and a great Web site http://www.chron.com even better. The ideal candidate will boast exquisite command of the English language and AP style, as well as boundless energy, creativity to spare and attention to accuracy and detail. Previous experience and an education in journalism (or related field) are absolute requirements, as is more than a passing familiarity with Web production. This position involves double duty in both the print and online realms our readers have come to depend upon for all things sports in Houston. Please mail or e-mail cover letter, resume, work samples and references to:
    Carlton Thompson, sports editor
    The Houston Chronicle
    carlton.thompson@chron.com
    801 Texas Ave.
    Houston, TX 77002

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is just an OK section for its size, but one plus (if you can stand the Houston heat): Pay is not bad relative to the cost of living.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

But it is a heck of a Website, if your thing is getting involved with first-rate Websites.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Two words: Air conditioning.

Otherwise, not a bad section, and the city's gorgeous.

5. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Hell yes, dealing with the heat (90 and rising already today) is a must, but H-Town's a good place to be (remember boys and girls: Texas has no state tax) and is pretty affordable for a large city. The eye candy is very good as well.

As for the job, you'll be working with some very good people who kick ass at what they do. If you love baseball, you'll be in paradise as the guys and gals on the desk are some of the smartest and insightful baseball people you'll ever run into.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Houston is the fattest city in the country for a reason. It's too damned hot to move down there. I truly believe that Houston is Hell, and we just don't realize it.

The Chronicle might be the hardest to read paper I've picked up lately. Dog legs on the front page, way too many graphics, headlines with the story inside (IIRC). It's painful.

The Web site, however, is one of the better newspaper ones out there.

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

A combo Web/print job, eh?

I'm sure it's not the first, but the first I've seen.

The times, they are a-changin'

8. webo

webo New Member

Huh? You kidding? Billboards everywhere. Petrochemical plants belching smoke into the air. No zoning laws. Ugly and poorly maintained medians (the effort to beautify for the Super Bowl was a joke). The worst smog in America, topping L.A. The skyline is pretty nice, but it would be a great reach to describe the city as "gorgeous."

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To each his own, I guess.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Weather and all, I'll take Houston every time over image-is-everything, superficial, pretentious Dallas. But gorgeous? Hmm, don't think so.

11. BrianGriffin

I have to agree. Houston is a hideous sprawl. It has its moments, like the Woodlands, River Oaks, the area around Rice and the medical center. Those are nice areas and the skyline is nice. But East Houston is about as ugly as an American city can get. Most of the rest is like a suburb that's not aging gracefully (granted, I've had little exposure to Sugarland, Katy, the NASA area...I'm sure these are nice areas).

HOWEVER, it is the fourth largest American city and when your city is that big, it's going to have its charms and plenty of things to do.

12. BrianGriffin

Dallas has horrible weather. Hot, hot, hot and muggy in the summer, dry-ass wind and tornados in the spring and ice storms (not pretty snow falls) in the winter.

I'd take Houston's mugginess over Dallas' year-round misery.

Draft saved Draft deleted