1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Hosting

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I paid $7.15 last night for my domain name. Of course, it's useless without somewhere to host my site, which I've yet to create.

I figure it might pay to use a few months to investigate where to host the thing. But I'm pretty much in the dark at the moment. So I'm looking for advice.

About all I learned in my brief surfing last night is that some sites assist with such things as blogging software. I was reminded of this today when I spent a good hour trying to unravel the mysteries of WordPress. I downloaded something and then something else and finally got to the point where it said it was almost ready to go. Then it changed from English to computer whiz language. That's when I remembered that one host said it handled the Wordpress installation for you. So such things like that could be a big help.

Thoughts? Advice? Caveats?

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Who did you pay for the domain name? A lot of those companies host the sites, too.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I researched the same thing and landed at Webstrike. It got the best reviews and is competitively priced.

I haven't actually built the site yet, but I'm using the email with my domain name. Don't know about assistance for blogging, though.

My domain is registered through GoDaddy and I had a hosting account through them. I'm leaving the domains registered there but moved the hosting account. I don't like GoDaddy for a variety of reasons. Their prices are good, though.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Mine's hosted at GoDaddy, but I use gmail to manage all of my personal domain mail. It's the way to go.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

One vote for GoDaddy, both for buying the domain and web hosting. I'm somewhat of a computer idiot and their tech support has been timely, helpful and polite.

6. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

i used a company called web hosting buzz (i think it's like whb.com or something) that was $3/mo. for pretty good memory and bandwidth). i have no problems with it and it's dirt cheap.

7. Italian_Stallion

Perhaps I'll go with GoDaddy. That's where I registered my domain name.

It appears that one of the keys is whether the domain provides lots of support. While they're not going to write your code, they have some resources already at your disposal.

Since we're on this subject, any thoughts on a running thread about online journalism or something of that nature? I know lots of folks are involved in the online media world these days. It might be a nice way to share ideas, solve issues, etc.

My next caper will be finding some ad revenue. Following SportsJournalists.com's example, I signed up for Google Ads and Amazon's Associates Program. Of course, I'll be creating some in-house ad stuff, too. But it will be nice to have something to mix in until I can get the site profitable.

8. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have used a private server for a while, but godaddy and 1and1.com have been giving me some great deals over the years.

9. Italian_Stallion

How does web traffic affect hosting? I probably should be more specific, but I'm not yet able to add much else to the question. Isn't this site hosted on a server that is actually an SportsJournalists.com server? Or am I mistaken. Webby get in here.

Draft saved Draft deleted