1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web hosting/website design?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 23, 2013.

1. New job and I am trying to put together a website.
    I am meeting with a web services provider next month. The service is going to cost about $8,000. Plus about $40 a year.
    Our old IT/web guru suggested a web hosting site and building a site from a template. With a hosting site and a template he said I'm looking at spending about $500.

Has anyone done it or does it?

I want a website that I can update and upload. Do I have to know code to do it?
    Can I create multiple website pages for other entities? Or do I have register each domain name, making it's own website?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have built quite a few websites over the years, though that activity has slacked off of late. 8K is outrageous. Go with what your old guru said and find an easy platform that will eliminate a lot of the nuts and bolts work.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time SJ gets a new host site since this place is increasingly laid low by outages.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've been using Wix.com to build my photography website for a few weeks now. It's remarkable easy to use, especially if you have some familiarity with basic design principles. They have a ton of templates to choose from and you can go right in and edit anything you see so, depending on what kind of site you're trying to make, it should be fairly easy to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted