1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Editor--Detroit Free Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Schottey, Dec 17, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You couldn't be more wrong. I spent a year working for a Free Press owned newspaper. Nine precent of our daily web traffic came from Facebook and Twitter. And that was in 2009- the year we launched social media efforts. Almost all we did was post links - automatically through an RSS feed, because I didn't have time to go in deeper and start conversations. It worked.

2. You think there are fingers crossed in Big D?

3. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Do you see a single thing in the original job posting that wouldn't apply to many of the people coming to this forum day-in and day-out?

Is it ONLY sports? No.
    Would sports knowledge help? Of course!

Are there tons of people out-of-a-job during the holiday season checking this board for work? Yes.

Being that it is a job that most of us here are qualified for, at a major newspaper with its state's largest sports section, I think the link is more than appropriate.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't read that as an accusation, just a question.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If people can post work-for-free or work 60 hours per week jobs, I think decent paying news jobs are probably ok.

Draft saved Draft deleted