1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Editor--Detroit Free Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Schottey, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Schottey

Schottey Guest

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QHKCV0D&ff=21&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=J8D5JR71PMGK144CVYV

Description

The Detroit Free Press Web team is looking for a Web Editor with strong news and digital skills who can help drive Freep.com traffic and help keep our site's appeal growing with our audience.

We're looking for a self-starter who has the tools both to edit online news and also to find innovative ways to present that news and interact with our audience across all digital platforms and through social media.

Candidates need to have strong copy-handling and news judgment skills, be able to write compelling, accurate and digital-appropriate headlines and make confident, smart decisions on story publication and play to keep our home page and other platforms active and urgent. The Editor will ideally be able to conceive and build Web presentations that deliver information in an urgent and compelling way. This person must be able to multi-task and to handle all the tools of the digital era, including working in our systems for handling content of stories, photos and videos as well as sending text alerts, e-mail alerts, etc. This person must keep current with the rapidly expanding mobile and smart phone platforms.

Requirements

Candidates for this position should have a demonstrated history of social media success and use of digital tools in the marketplace. We will depend on this editor to be at ease having conversations with our audience through our social media efforts as we seek to expand our interaction and audience.

Must have the ability to become fluent in tools used, such as Caspio database displays and interpreting our Omniture Sitecatalyst data.

Interested candidates should include a resume and a presentation of material or links as appropriate.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What is a demonstrated history for social media success?

3. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

How many Facebook friends you have.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Joe Grimm has 1,527.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I cut my friends list down because I really don't care to use Facebook professionally and my paper thinks just posting links is a social media presence.

Basically this is a position for someone who just graduated college and used Facebook and Twitter instead of listening to their professors.

6. Schottey

Schottey Guest

OR, it's someone who, in addition to their copy editing skills, also understands the importance of maintaining a web presence--utilizing a well thought out FB page, using Twitter, connecting with users.

I think that sounds pretty standard when hiring someone to run your website.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Good for him.

You'll have to beat out Jeff Bilbrey and Julius Muller for the job. Muller has his "fingers crossed", while Bilbrey wants to jump ship from Detroit Sports Nation.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Free Press doesn't do a lot in terms of social media. They post stories to Facebook regularly. It might be automated. Sports does this too. Don't know if they are active on Twitter.

I'd be more concerned about this position because of the never-ending salary cuts. Also, this would be a union gig right? So the next round of cuts, if they decided against another salary cut - you would be out.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Agreed. To think Facebook and Twitter are not important to newspapers is plain idiotic.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Did I miss where it said this is a sports-centric job? Not saying, just asking ...

rb

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It doesn't matter. Stitch has already anointed the finalists.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I haven't seen many papers use social media effectively. Like I've posted before on other threads, just putting up links is useless because a very small percentage of traffic comes from them. Social media is a two-way street, not a content pipe ramming links down followers' throats.

Draft saved Draft deleted