1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Design

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What's the fastest, easiest way to learn about web design, RSS feeds, posting video, pictures, etc. ? Would you have to learn HTML to master this?

I'm not interested in sites like eBlogger or BLOGS! in general. I'm talking about serious web design.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It depends, Luggie. What do you hope to accomplish with your site? You may have to learn Flash and Java to accomplish some of it.

3. Lugnuts

I posted this on the wrong board, oops. :)

Thanks for answering anyway.

It's not for a website I want to start, it actually relates to a job I heard about.

I don't think I have the skills to apply for this job because I don't know anything about web design. But I suspect more of these kinds of "video journalist" jobs will soon become available... and I'm curious about what I would need to do to get up to speed.

I shot video for broadcast for several years. I have the shooting/lighting skills. I have the reporting skills....

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You would definitely need to know HTML for web design. But if you are talking about serious web design, you would definitely need Visual Basic knowledge and a lot more learning about the .Net environment.

Are you looking to program yourself or are you looking to just learn about the topic of programming?

5. Lugnuts

I'm not sure. I guess if I'm really interested, I should ask more questions.

I'm assuming I go out and create a video short. I shoot it, write it, track it, and cut it using Avid, Final Cut Pro, whatever. That I can do.

Then I'm supposed to post it to my page. Maybe somebody else would be responsible for helping me design my page?? Not sure.... I'm completely lost on that front.

I guess I need a working knowledge of the web stuff.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Depending upon how large of an operation you would want to run, you can do such things yourself (with a bit of knowledg).

The way most blogs handle video is by hosting it on YouTube and then embedding the video as part of their page. This would probably be the easiest for you as YouTube has already created the technology to prevent hacking so you needn't re-invent the wheel.

I suggest locating a local web design company and discussing with them what you would like to do. They would be able to level with you about what it would take to get things going and how much it would cost.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Don't waste your money. The internet is a fad. In a couple of years, nobody will remember what it was.

OK, maybe not. I took a couple of Dreamweaver courses at a local college. They were great. I'm not an expert, but I know enough to put it on my resume and not be scared by them "underground tubes".

8. Lugnuts

Thanks for the advice.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I took classes for this at my local tech school, both for web design and for html. Many web designers use design software interfaces-- the one I learned on was Dreamweaver -- that reduce the work to button clicks. Knowing html helps in troubleshooting, and I found that sometimes writing the code yourself can be less complicated than the combination of steps you use in the design interface. You can probably do it without learning html, but you'll be better at it if you know html, which in the advanced computer environment is a pretty low-level language.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Learn how to manipulate CSS. Once you do that, it's easy money.

Draft saved Draft deleted