1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weather in newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimore Sports Guy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

FWIW, one of the things that used to bug me about the AJC when I read it was their lack of a standard spot for weather. It was always on the back of a section, but it was anyone's guess what section that was. Sometimes it was sports, sometimes it was the A-section, sometimes it was metro, and sometimes it was on the back of the second of four classified sections. Used to bug the hell out of me. And putting a weather graphic on the front that says "See Weather, Page K16" doesn't help me when the paper has 17 sections and was put together haphazardly by a meth-addled narcoleptic on the hood of his Dodge Dart.

Sorry...got a little ranty there.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We got rid of the national temps on A2 three months ago, and we had a number of calls about it.

Another thing you don't screw with: lottery numbers. We had tanked the weekly lottery number listing (it wasn't that big, it was just a pain to put together) when we revamped A2, and we had to add it back a month later because of the complaints we got.

3. gumbojumbo

gumbojumbo Guest

Weather in my paper is well-lit and about 75 degrees right now. ... 8)
    I don't know why papers put weather on the front, as if people will get their weather report from looking at 10 words and then not need to buy the paper. But so many papers do so much standard weather stuff for color when maybe stories about weather items and trends and all that would be more interesting.
    And I wonder how old reports are, like that one about 7 p.m. It all changes so quick, and it's not like the local weather guy is all that bright in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted