1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weather Channel to name winter storms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Q- Quiche ....whitemencantjump

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Thanks, Hank. I never would have known that. Can't say I have a great deal of experience in that area.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Local TV station here has been naming winter storms for years. They first used names of cities in the coverage area (Ashwaubenon, Brillion, Crivitz, Denmark, etc.), but have switched to people names. Probably because morons would think Winter Storm Greenleaf would only affect people in the Greenleaf area.

5. CharBroiled

CharBroiled New Member

This is beyond stupid.
    Winter storms always seem to be the most unpredictable of all weather forecasts because they track so differently than any other systems. I've been in a Winter Storm Warning one morning with forecasts calling for 6-8 inches of snow, then four hours later the snowfall has dropped to 2-4 inches. Suddenly, we're getting flurries and Winter Storm Willie has missed the area.

And of course the reverse is true when the forecast called for a trace of snow and 17 inches later, I'm covered in sweat as I've shoveled my own driveway and the driveways of the neighbors. Does this mean a snowstorm like such would warrant a name after the fact? "Well, we missed out on naming this snow before it hit, but we're going to call it Winter Storm Tom Cruise," said no weather channel personality ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted