1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wearing team apparel on the job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What do you mean "thinking" of buying!?!?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Have you worn them yet?

3. highlander

highlander Member

I don't really see the problem with wearing a baseball cap with a college logo to cover a high school baseball or softball game. At the schools I cover there is never room in the press box (to many parents in there to allow one writer in) so I have to sit outside and wearing a baseball cap helps with the sun.

Oh and it really doesn't matter what color shirt I wear no matter what school I go cover (two schools in the town) someone there always has a wise crack similar too "Oh you decided to cover us tonight, I figured you'd be at Jefferson tonight." Of course I've been covering these two schools since the second school opened eight years ago, so I have a pretty good relationship with all the coaches at both schools. Which makes work a lot easier.

4. Moderator1

Multiple times.

5. jps

jps Active Member

I have, though not regularly. I don't make a habit of wearing the stuff around, but if I go to a game or decide to head to the sports bar with a group of friends to root for two different sides of a game, I might pull out a jersey.

6. jps

jps Active Member

only to clean the gutters.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If you click your heels together three times, Moddy, do they magically take you back to Kansas?

As to the original question, I'll admit to wearing an NHL hoodie to a prep game the other night when the outside temp hit -10F. Other than that, though, I've become a big fan of earth tones. I figure that puts me a step ahead of our photog, who showed up for our school's Homecoming football game decked out head-to-toe in team colors ...

8. jps

jps Active Member

I find a visor is a bit dressier than an old cap. so I have several, 'dressier' visors that usually get pulled out solely on a game-day situation. wear one, fine. but don't wear one you've owned since college that looks like it's been to a few parties and then wound up getting run over once or twice.

9. Moderator1

No. They take me to your place so I can kick yer wise ass!

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

So did I, especially after having someone joke that I was a Clemson fan even though I was covering a Maryland game and Clemson wasn't playing. And I was wearing a purple dress shirt at the time, not a Clemson shirt.

Ever since then, I've done scouting before games to make sure I didn't accidentally wear the uniform colors of one of the teams.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Not a big fan of the visor. I have probably 300 caps to choose from but usually it's a college hat or minor league baseball cap. Love minor league baseball caps. What really sucks is these new "one size fits most" hats. Not when you have pumpkin head like me.

12. jps

jps Active Member

I dunno ... still gotta stick with visor. cap just dresses down too much for my taste, but to each his own. tend to go with generic logos, too, rather than teams. nike, nautica, adidas, whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted