1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wearing team apparel on the job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Jan 19, 2009.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I always make a conscious effort to look up and not wear any of the colors of the teams I'll be covering in high school games.

As for colleges and up, I always wear a shirt and tie and nice pants anyway, so it's not like it matters all that much about colors, per se. But because I don't give it a whole lot of thought, I have showed up to, say, a Fresno State game in a red shirt (though with a gold tie).

2. I would wear it to work out in. To shovel in. To clean the gutters in.

But not to work in, eat in, shop in, etc., etc., etc.

Again, past a certain age, team "gear" just comes off a little juvenile.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

good friend of mine who's been in the business a long time and is totally professional has sometimes worn something that could be construed as "pulling" for one of the teams and caught hell from fans when he came out f the press box. and he's wanting to say, "huh?"

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Did you also wear red shoes? Like the ones Moddy was thinking about buying?

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

You think hooded sweatshirts with a team name on it is juvenile? I see hundreds of people a day in my part-time job. I'd say a decent 40 percent of the adults are wearing hooded sweatshirts with a local pro team's name and/or logo.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

judging from crowd shots at games or "mugging" for cameras, there's a helluva lot of juveniles in our great country.

7. It's not like I would look at it and judge someone. But I feel kind of childish in something like that. Just not really my style, a combination of working around college and pro sports for so long and, again, the Seinfeld "Puddy" episode.

I guess I just don't think there's anything cute about adult fanaticism by this point, and I overcompensate.

Mostly just a style thing with me, though.

8. jps

jps Active Member

yeah ... heard rome go on a rant about grown men wearing another man's jersey being juvenile and ridiculous, and thought he was a bit off, too.

9. The other night I walked in to cover a college midmajor game, and the other beat writer says, "Waylon, all dressed up today, huh!?" I had a casual blazer and jeans on. He was wearing ratty tennis shoes and a Nike polo untucked.

10. Have you ever covered pro stuff? I have, and after that, have never again worn a jersey. Feels totally childish. I could probably make an exception for an deceased icon like Ruth or Clemente or Jackie R.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Someone here (coughSpacemancough) once said if you wear them and then turn them inside out, you can save yourself a lot of laundry.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I agree to a point. But, on the flip side, if you aren't an MLB reporter, and you wear a Dodgers cap to practice ... I don't see that as a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted