1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wearing team apparel on the job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Was covering a HS game the other night and one of my esteemed colleagues from the competition was decked out in attire from the local university -- we're talking hat, sweatshirt and sweatpants.

My question -- is this appropriate?

I've worn polo shirts from the teams I used to work for on some occassions when I'm covering a game, but I've never been a walking billboard.

Interested to hear the feedback.
  2. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Never. Ever. Not even a U of Hawaii hat at a U of Maine hockey game.
  3. ehlobuddy

ehlobuddy New Member

Inappropriate and silly. I wouldn't even wear the polo shirts.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

6. jps

jps Active Member

my feedback: sweatpants in public, with few exceptions, are never ok.
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Inside or out?
  8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

9. jps

jps Active Member

and you're under 100 posts, so I guess I'll give you a bit of a pass ... but the actual answer here is pretty easy to figure. and, as has been said already, u of ____ polos at a game, even, are not exactly bueno.
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ummm, mental picture...
  11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I'm going to take a break and think about playful, playful puppies.

Ahhhh. That's better.
  12. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Why does this topic come up repeatedly?

It is not appropriate to be a fanboi looser wearing team apparel. It is unprofessional, shows a bias and creates problems for you.

Dress appropriately. Wear nice clothes that are clean and present yourself accordingly. If you look like a cow turd people will think of you that way whether you're a great guy or a turd. If you are going to be slopping in the mud for an assignment, wear boots and old clothes. If you're going to a funeral or a presser or a city council meeting, wear a nice shirt and blazer and maybe even a tie.

There should be a sticky headline at the top of this forum that says DON'T WEAR TEAM CLOTHING AND BE AN UNPROFESSIONAL LOOSER.
Draft saved Draft deleted