1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wear a helmet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, May 18, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Because of this:
    [​IMG]

Little Jace looks no worse than this:
    [​IMG]

Despite having his head run over by a car. Granted, the kid was doing stupid kid stuff, but he's still around.
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660221688,00.html

2. KG

KG Active Member

On top of wearing a helmet, thank God for helping to protect that little boy. WOW that is just amazing!!

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I saw a girl wearing a helmet to pole vault at a meet I covered yesterday, but she disappeared before I got a chance to ask her what was up with it. I'm sure there's a valid reason for it, but she looked like a Special Olympics champion from a distance.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

About three weeks ago we had a motorcycle-deer collision on a 65 mph highway. Neither the driver nor the passenger were wearing helmets. The passenger died of injuries received. The driver is all messed up.
    I can't say for sure if a helmet would have helped the passenger, but it sure as heck couldn't have hurt.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Brad Van Pelt's nephew used to wear one while he vaulted at Michigan. He knew he looked like a Special Olympian and laaughed about it.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Penn State's Kevin Dare died a few years ago at the Big Ten championships after his head slammed on the "box" when coming down from vaulting.

From the AP story:
    Since then, lots of places have been mandating them.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

In other news, ESPN's X Games division is suing Jace for stealing its idea of the head-first street luge with oncoming traffic. The event is expected to debut in 2008.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

If I recall correctly, this incident compelled the MN State High School League to require helmets for all HS pole vaulters.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oddly enough, yesterday was the first time I'd ever seen one worn, and you'd think the high school association here would be on board with it. Plus it didn't really look like a very seaworthy helmet -- looked like a bike helmet, and I swear from my vantage point it had duct tape on it.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I believe the PIAA did the same thing. Maybe Shotty can confirm for me.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The vaulters at Idaho State have been wearing helmets, usually skateboarding helmets, for years. And Idaho State has, arguably, the best vaulting coach in the country and gave the world Stacy Dragila.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does Dragila's mother know that the coach is making such a claim?

Draft saved Draft deleted