1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weapons charge for a baseball bat ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 31, 2012.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Baseball player threatened female with the bat and was arrested. I won't dispute that the threat should be addressed, but the weapons charge seems to be stretching things.

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2012/08/31/kyle-carter-uga-pitcher-and-former-little-league-world-series-star-arrested-on-weapons-charge/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So you don't think a baseball bat can inflict serious injury?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's explained in the story:

"The bat’s a weapon under the Georgia code section. A bat can be used for athletic purposes, but once it’s used as a weapon, it becomes a weapon on school grounds.”

If you attacked someone with a bat or a cinder block or a broken bottle you'd still be charged for "Assault with a Deadly Weapon," despite the original intention of the object in question.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd like to know more about the exchange between him and the girl.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

From the story, it says he specifically mentioned using the bat against her, at least according to police. At least in Rhode Island, that would mean a felony assault or assault with a dangerous weapon charge. In one case that I can remember, a gang member used a baseball bat to fracture someone's skull, and only with two or three swings, according to witnesses. I'm not sure why there would be any confusion about why there would be a weapons charge for this, although unless he has previous offenses, I imagine it gets pleaded down or dismissed.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Because maybe he had a good reason for threatening her with the bat?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not in the hands of any of the current members of the Chicago Cubs.

Draft saved Draft deleted