1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wealthy L.A. Schools' Vaccination Rates Are as Low as South Sudan's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Herd immunization only works if the vaccinated rate is high enough. If enough of them get sick and have terrible outcomes or die, the word will start to get around.

Think of it as evolution in action.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Please don't. Because that isn't evolution.

3. Neutral Corner

Shrug. Call it the consequences of bad parenting then. It's a pity that the children have to pay the price for their parent's willful ignorance.

I worked pediatrics for fifteen years. I don't have a lot of patience with the anti-vax idiots.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but failure to vaccinate for non-medical reasons puts those who have had the vaccine at risk, too, not just those who have chosen not to.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Had a 14-year-old cat who died from a vaccine-induced fibrosarcoma (pathology confirmed the cancer's cause).

I'm a feline anti-vaxer.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It isn't the kids whose parents don't vaccinate who are the issue here (although they are more susceptible). It's the kids whose parents CAN'T vaccinate them (because of an autoimmune illness or cancer treatments, for instance) and the kids who are vaccinated but slip through because no vaccine has 100 percent effectiveness. When a large enough percentage of people don't vaccinate their kids, it reduces the herd immunity and makes many many more kids susceptible.

My fully vaccinated kids could get measles because of some idiots. Is that the consequence of my bad parenting for taking them outside?

7. Neutral Corner

Nothing is perfect. My wife has an IgA deficiency. You can give her two boosters a couple of weeks apart, draw a titer in six weeks, and she'll have zero immunity to measles. Basically she's a walking target for any bacteria that crosses the mucus membranes.

CHIP helps kids who otherwise might not get immunized, and the fucking Republicans want to play budget games with it.

8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I had the shingles vaccination six months ago. The vaccine is only 50% effective and I now have shingles on the left side of my face, which is bad because of the potential for eye damage.

It started as an apparent sinus headache about 12 days ago and then five days ago I started to get pustules on my forehead which progressed from the scalp line down to the eyes and nose.

It looks like a swarm of angry killer mosquitoes attacked the left side of my head.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  9. Neutral Corner

I got mine recently as well, without side effects. Shingles is kinda like gout - one of those painful ailments that comes with aging which I devoutly hope never to experience.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Gout suuuuuucks
    Source: I have it, get a flare up once a year.

As for the anti-vax folk, they're insane. I got into it with one because she was complaining about PBS being in the pocket of big phat ma because Daniel Tiger got a shot on an episode of the show.
    It was mighty battle, with me explaining the meaning of the show and how the shot was a metaphor for facing fears. I asked for evidence
    PBS was in the pocket of big pharma and all the nutbags kept doing was telling me their anti vax propoganda and complaining about Sesame Street characters with autism were awful because it was normalizing something that was preventable if people stopped vaccinating.
    It was a wild ride and I ended up having to unfriend a FB friend who is a nurse (who taught me how to change a diaper) because she decided it would be better to use me as an example of why she's continues to fight for anti vax.
    I'm better off, but I'm gonna miss her posts about chemtrails this summer

11. Neutral Corner

I could always tell when I was drawing blood on someone with gout (over and above the order being for a uric acid level). I'd step in close to feel for a good vein, and they would lift the affected foot and tuck it back up under the chair where I couldn't step on it or bump it by accident. That's a behavior we call "guarding", and it's a dead giveaway.

So far as I'm concerned, gout is right up there with kidney stones on my "just as soon not" list.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm a vaxer anti-feline.

Draft saved Draft deleted