1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wealth addiction

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 22, 2014.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Isn't this just the old idea of the hedonic treadmill? (God, I love it when I can use big words.) That is, your level of happiness is fixed and to move the dial, even temporarily, you need bigger and bigger amounts of what gives you pleasure.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I also think that people are addicted to quantifying their success. It might be clicks. It might be book sales. It might be "likes" on Facebook. In this case, it's money. It's how they decide if they are winning at life or not.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Think that same credo could appear in the biography of anyone elected to high political office.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I've said it before: Money has to be fluid. It has to keep moving throughout society.

The "wealth addicts" are hoarding their money. That hurts the capitalist economy in the long run.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They don't care about hurting the economy. They care about the economy hurting their wallets.

6. Dick Whitman

What do you identify as "hoarding" wealth? (Honest question here.)

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Don't bring basic economics into this.

8. 93Devil

When it sits in bank accounts. When it is invested into stocks, bonds and other commodities with out being resold for decades. Saving money does hurt the economy. It is a catch 22 that it is wiser for individuals to save but hurts the community.

9. Dick Whitman

You're wrong.

That money is being used to create wealth, to grow the economy and raise our standard of living.

It's not "sit(ting)" anywhere. Period.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. 93Devil

You really lurk this place.

12. 93Devil

Can you please explain how saving money helps the economy?

Draft saved Draft deleted