1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weak effort for the AP on an old favorite ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The 2007 sports dead list is a great disappointment to me.

As late as two years ago, the AP moved an extensive list of capsules on notable sports dead of the year. Always fascinating reading, as it spanned the whole world, from cricket guys to the hall of famers we all remember. It typically was enough to fill two pages if you were so inclined. (I usually edited the hell out of it and got it on a page. A great year-ender.)

I recall that last year (Or was it 2005? I forget.) the thing was less detailed, but it was still fairly substantial.

This year, there's a decent enough Fred Lief story and a pathetic little list of deaths arranged by sport with no other information than the age of the deceased.

Just another corner getting cut by the AP, it seems to me.

2. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Uh, who isn't cutting corners these days.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seems to me if anyone shouldn't be cutting corners it's the AP. Are they really losing revenue and having circulation losses?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I don't see that we're paying them any less than we did a year ago, so I think at the least we should be able to insist on a consistent level of service. Which reminds me, check yer PM in a few minutes.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

When HeijraHank starts a thread, you know he's whining about the AP.

Waaahhhhhh.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So your contention is the AP sports death list is equal in quality to previous years?

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I actually don't chart the quality of the AP death list. I'm too busy, you know, writing stories for a living.

8. TheSportsPredictor

You mean too busy posting potshots on SportsJournalists.com?

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Intrigued, I just called my desk.

Funny thing happened: HeijiaHank is full of shit.

They say they have 237 inches of AP death capsules that moved this afternoon. (OK, they said three files and told me where they were, and I added up the inch counts.)

HeijraHenry, totally full of shit again. I'm reading them all now. For example:

"May 3 _ Alex Agase, 85, three-time All-American and College Football Hall of Fame member who coached at Northwestern and Purdue. A guard and linebacker, Agase was an All-American at Illinois in 1942 and at Purdue in 1943 after transferring to train for the Marines. He returned to Illinois after World War II and earned All-America honors again in 1946."

Gee, that seems like more than a name and sport, you fucktards.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Stunning. When presented with proof of the lie, HeijraHenry and his ilk slink away to code yet another agate page and ask the boys in paste-up if it's an iHop or Denny's night.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Death of the dearth of the death list?

12. TheSportsPredictor

You remain an asshole (four).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.