1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We want the UN's help? Now? Really?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Sep 25, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I hope we sent someone a muffin basket to apologize for that last go 'round. "Sorry for the whole unilateral move into the Gulf thing. And for Bolton, too. Honest. XXOO, America."

I for one was unaware of the following:

“Americans are outraged by the situation in Burma where a military junta has imposed a 19-year reign of fear...” Outraged? Really? Among which small percentage of Americans who might locate same on the map is there outrage?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/world/25cnd-bush.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You should look up UNIlateral, especially when the US jumped through countless UN hoops, and invaded when Hussein ignored UN resolutions.

Why should anyone apologize for Bolton? We should apologize that he's no longer there.

Is it your contention that a nation's democratically elected government should not represent it in world affairs?

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It is my contention that short of condemning the building and closing the place, this administration has done everything it could to utterly marginalize the UN. And yes, I know the meaning of 'unilateral.' I'll grant you as a sop to dictionaries everywhere that we were joined by a small expeditionary force from Britain, and a tiny coalition of the coerced, but the impetus, initiative and the momentum behind the adventure was ours and ours alone.

Now that we can't extract ourselves from the mess we created in Iraq, we're taking the UN seriously again? And begging their collective help?

Priceless.

4. Oy.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

John Bolton was the perfect ambassador to the UN under Fredo's regime: a loudmouth bully who figured he was the smartest guy in the room. He didn't realise he was just the most objectionable guy in the room. Douchebag of the highest order.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Sending Bolton to the UN was like sending the Orkin Man to a termites convention.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The difference though is that termites actually accomplish something while the UN is a collective waste of gridlock. An idealistic failure is a good description too.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Which is why it's better to have UN delegates in your house than termites. Kofi Annan's not much of a wood-eater.

9. Kofi Annan wasn't much of a secretary-general, either.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The problems extend far, far beyond Annan as well as the guy in charge now. Expecting to garner enough world consensus on anything is foolish. Especially with so many unscrupulous and dishonorable world leaders. Your typical high school student government association has nearly the same competency. But no one ever listens to high school students.

Draft saved Draft deleted