1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We should all be so unsexy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great, great ad. It does make me feel better about myself, how about you?

It's really kind of profound, isn't it?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't think men are any pickier, just meaner.

The whole thing is kind of silly. Unsexiest woman alive? Don't be ridiculous. The unsexiest woman alive is probably the bag lady that Freeman Williams may or may not be sharing an alley with in L.A. Unsexiest celeb woman? Oh, I don't know -- I suppose I would take SJP over Bea Arthur. Unsexiest celeb woman under 50? I suppose SJP would be a more appealing option than, say, Amy Winehouse. Or anyone who's been on a reality TV show. I liked the show, but I thought the characters played by SJP and Kim Cattrall tied for third among the four, I liked Miranda's character best.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

It is ... have we really been flummoxed by mass media into redefining our standard of 'natural beauty'? The gal starts off as pretty plain and then is turned into a supermodel.

Remember when Katie Couric magically dropped 20 pounds for a promotional picture? And I saw on TMZ last night that whichever network is helping Britney rejuvenate her career with a sitcom has trimmed down her legs for a promo.

Is this what Photoshop has turned us into? Can we trust any picture we see?

Tough questions to answer, aren't they?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Men aren't meaner. They just aren't as smart about choosing who they will be mean in front of as women are.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Agree with Frank. People knock Cynthia Nixon, but the final season of the show, when they actually started styling her consistently, she looked freaking beautiful.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Interesting ... Miranda was my least favourite character on the show. I loved Samantha for her brazen attitude toward sex, treating it the way men have historically done so. I loved Charlotte for her innocence and optimism about love. And I loved Carrie, because she represented the confusion we all feel when we're getting spun around in the realm of romance.

And you just don't know what it's like until you've dated your own Mr. Big. He can leave you reeling.

But Miranda ... I don't know. She just never clicked for me, although she's the one a lot of women maybe should emulate -- the career woman, handling child, job and life on her own in the search of happiness.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

During the height of SATC, I was dating someone who liked the show, so I watched a lot of it. I found it entertaining enough, though not so much that I'd have watched it alone.

Never really thought it was all that provocative or insightful as far as gender issues. Regarding bourgeois New York women's struggles to balance feminism with traditional roles, well, I think Erica Jong's "Fear of Flying" did a better job than SATC and that was over three decades before SATC's first broadcast.

I mainly enjoyed it, not because of the sexual content, but as a fictional example of the fantastically narcissistic and self-referential culture of professionals who live in Manhattan...a topic I find endlessly intriguing and amusing. The hand-wringing that went on when one of the characters decided to move to Brooklyn (!!!) was hilarious.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You're not a guy. A Miranda requires more effort, but once you thaw the heart, she's worth it and she's the smartest of the four. Carrie's an immature little bitch who screwed over some decent guys and she has few redeeming qualities beyond a good sense of humor and a nice bod. Samantha had no soul till she got cancer. Charlotte is the prettiest, but mentally and emotionally she's 14. I'd feel like Humbert Humbert if I were with her.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never. Ever. Possible. On the show or in real life.

She was the smartest, but was as self-absorbed as the other three.

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

What are you guys talking about? She's very... Handsome.

11. Khartoum

Khartoum Active Member

Attractiveness is subjective, so this argument is moot. Hell, I think Maggie Gyllenhaal is somewhat grotesque, but a lot of people adore her. Every person is wildly attractive to SOMEbody (well, except maybe Scottie Pippen). So to come up with such a list is silly.

That said, Sarah Jessica Parker is just about the worst actress this side of Sophia Coppola. Parker made Sex And The City all but unwatchable. Not because of her alleged horse face, but because of her one-note acting range. Of course, it didn't help that the writing (for her character, at least) was unfathomably bad, just a neverending barrage of horrible puns and unnatural, forced one-liners that no actor would be able to dig him or herself out from under. Goddamn that show was awful. It makes me hate this country just a little bit that THAT show was so successful on HBO but Deadwood got canceled.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

She was attractive when she was younger (looked pretty good in L.A. Story), but age and her personality made her less and less attractive over the years. I think her annoying personality (plus her sudden reign as some half-assed fashionista) really made her overbearing.

I also never got the impression that she was all that bright, unlike others I guess.

So, yeah, among celebrities who are supposed to be attractive, I'd put her pretty far down on the list.

However, I wouldn't go out of my way to tell the nation I believe she's unattractive and overbearing. A list like that is pretty meanspirited.

Draft saved Draft deleted