1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We should all be so unsexy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Mar 24, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Again, Lugs, it's really no worse than what appears on a daily basis on Page 6 or anywhere in the NYP or weekly in Us Weekly or any of that ilk.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

To me it's yet another example of the Estrogenization of the male gender.

These days men seem to LOVE being hypercritical of women. In the past, that area was reserved for us women.

Sometimes I long for the cavemen days when men weren't all that picky.

ETA: I'm talking about Maxim magazine and its readers generally, not any poster on this thread.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which is fair. I guess I was just responding to you singling THIS out as being mean.

My point was that EVERYTHING'S mean now.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

It was mean, shallow and stupid...but what do you expect for a magazine that targets the fratboy demographic? SJP is an attractive woman. (She also used to be a hell of a good guest on talk shows, because she's pretty bright and she's been in the public eye for 25+ years so she's got a few stories)

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here are the original threads:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1443879/

This one includes writing irish's short, but HOF-worthy, 2-post rant about Maxim.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48768/

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

[​IMG]

What?! NOT...COOL!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

First, while Maxim is within its rights, it remains an extremely tacky and tasteless thing to do.

I've never really understood the need for media to trash celebrities just because they can. There seems to be a growing mean-spiritedness to public behavior in recent years and I think it's more a reflection of the way people feel rather than media-driven thing.

As for SJP, I've always considered her among the most visually overrated women on planet earth and was dumbfounded as to how she got a lead role in a show called "Sex in the City." It was a reach. I hope she doesn't read this post, though, because I'm sure she's a very nice woman.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Cran - Well said on point #1. As for point #2 - I dunno - good actress who connects with women??

Thanks for posting, DD. I didn't know.

Irish is my new hero.

EmbR: I think I'd rather do that guy than a metrosexual.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You think that's really changed or is it that the expression of such sentiments are more visible today?

My guess is men being hypercritical of women has always existed; perhaps on a more localized level with the venue for those types of discussions eons ago being behind country club or office doors or at the local watering holes.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Physically attractive, facewise? No.
    Cute petite figure? Absolutely. Man, she rocked those tighty whities in one episode SATC.

Conventionally speaking, no, she's not pretty. But I always found her confidence and ebullience pretty darn neat. That confidence, though, takes a serious hit in that story, where both she and her husband are 'hurt' by what a rag mag says about her.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It was a reach. I had to sit through every episode in syndication with my wife, and the two things I said repeatedly was "if Kim Cattrall was naked on HBO, why didn't we rent this?" and "SJP and that short-haired chick just don't do it for me."

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think the whole point of Sex and The City is that Carrie Bradshaw is supposed to be relateable to the women actually watching the show. I don't know that it plays quite as well if Kristin Davis is the lead actress. Oh no, the gorgeous WASPY-looking brunette can't find happiness in love? Boo-hoo.

SJP is one of those women who isn't traditionally gorgeous, but she's very sexy. As I said on the Charlize thread, smart it sexy. Funny is sexy. Classy is sexy. And she's all those things. Barbara Streisand isn't particularly gorgeous. But you know what? She worked with what god gave her. And her nose doesn't make The Way We Were a less believeable movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted