1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We only send our worst to Mexico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 28, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure some of us are good people.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Tried to find the original thread to update it, but came up empty. Mom of the year candidate.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That moustache will certainly be popular in jail.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And this, of course, opens the door to the usual ass rape lines.

That said, I do hope that judge who only gave him probation solely because he was rich kid is paying attention. Real fine work he did there.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, if anyone suffers from "affluenza" and parents who will do anything to keep junior from facing consequences of his actions, it's this kid.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The kid's sentencing was, as I understand it, entirely consistent with law and policy in Texas.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm not in favor of ass rape, but I will be compassionate and just hope the broom handle has splinters.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, "affluenza" aside, I assume that even if you kill someone, you may not get locked up for a first drunk-driving offense.

10 years of real probation (where you have to check in with a probation officer) and looking at 10 years in the slammer if you screw up is nothing to sneeze at.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Every DWI homicide I have seen carried at least six months in jail coupled with intensive treatment and a probationary sentence with three to five years hanging over the defendant's head. And that's at the very bottom of the sentences available in my jurisdiction for a first time offender. A much more typical sentence is 18 months in prison followed by five years probation. I don't think I've seen a multiple death case where the defendant got less than three years.

I was shocked he got no jail time for four deaths. I hope Texas can and will activate the 10 year sentence now that he absconded. The kid was given an incredible break, and didn't live up to his end of the terms.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I would assume "typical" is a poor word choice here, but what would be typical for a 16-year-old offender?

Draft saved Draft deleted