1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We need a new managers etc. thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 20, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Girardi is a done deal:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/stay_it_so_joe_0tHLthkVrieouOInu3B5eM

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bobby V might be the man in Milwaukee. He is one of four finalists and its already been reported that he has a deal in principle.

Valentine and the Brewers denied the report that said he had a deal, but then, doesn't MLB have a moratorium on any hires until after the World Series?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105895218.html

Based on the other three finalists, ego-maniacal dickhead or not, he's probably the best of the lot.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm sure Bobby V put put the word that he is the leading candidate in Milwaukee. Then he put out the word that he's close to a deal. Then he denied that he's close to a deal.

Tomorrow, Bobby V will announce that he has turned down the Brewers offer -- which probably was never made -- and withdrawn from consideration for the job.

He already has done this about 5 times in the past year.

With Girardi getting 3 years/$9 mill there is no way the guy who believes he invented the game is going to accept 3/10.
    If Bobby the genius isn't getting at least $5 mill a year (plus a stipend for disguises) he's not managing.

4. Bubbler

Could be.

But if he is a "real" finalist, I'd rather have him over Joey Cora, Ron Roenicke or Bob Freaking Melvin. Wouldn't you?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

6. Bubbler

I knew you'd say that. :D

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Man spinted, Bobby V is flaming asshole, but he's not as horrible as you make him out to be.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Enough said.

9. Bubbler

I don't disagree with much of what Spnited is saying about Bobby V. I've never been a big fan.

Would I hire him to steward a consistent winning team? No.
    Would I hire him to lead a rebuilding project? Fuck no (and he'd never do it anyway).

But when I look at this from the Brewers' perspective, a team that has underachieved the last two years, he makes sense to get a team that is just under .500 into a position where they're playing over .500.

And in the NL Central, if you get a team in the 90-win range, you're in contention. So I think he fits for the situation the Brewers are in right now.

Especially since the Brewers free up a ton of dead weight salary-wise and should be able to pursue a pitcher or two, irregardless of what they get for Prince Fielder, which won't be as much as they think they should get.

As for Ryne Sandberg, the last thing the Brewers need right now is a rookie manager, no matter how "name" that manager would be.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But if they would have hired him, then they would also be managed by one. Or so some allege.

I'm surprised Dave Brundage's name hasn't surfaced somewhere. Very successful in the Mariners system before that idiot Bill Bavasi got rid of everyone in the organization whom he perceived as a threat, and he's done a good job with the Braves in Richmond/Gwinnett.

11. Will Ferrell could manage the Blue Jays. They'd still finish fourth.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

John Farrell is not a good hire by the Blue Jays. He is a GREAT hire. Best hire of the off-season, and that includes the Brewers' inevitable hiring of Bobby V. :D There are not many guys in baseball as universally respected as Farrell.

Draft saved Draft deleted