1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We need a new managers etc. thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 20, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

And Spnited's take on Bobby V isn't either of those?

And I'll admit it: I don't like Girardi. At all. He treats the little people like shit, and has done so going back to his days with the Yankees. He knew what he wanted to do in his post-playing career and curried favor with the right guys (i.e. the big-time writers and broadcasters) to angle himself to land a good managerial gig with a minimal amount of training. Or, as it turned out, none. And everyone else saw the real Joe. He's a bad guy. Not a complicated guy, not a guy who runs hot and cold. A bad guy.

He thinks he's the smartest man in the room, when the fact of the matter is he's not even in the top half. So yeah. I enjoy seeing him get his.

As for Bobby V, the facts speak for themselves. Did better in NY and Texas than almost all who preceded and succeeded him, and generally did so without the most talented rosters in the league (exception being the 1999 Mets). No denying he's got an ego the size of Arlington, and that he can be very difficult, but the man can manage and energize a fan base. Too bad owners and GMs would rather have a safe hire than a winning one.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Bobby Valentine should be the manager in Seattle. If the Mariners weren't run by morons, he probably would be.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wait a minute, Dickhead is complaining about Girardi treating little people like shit?
    Valentine treats everybody who doesn't bow to his greatness like shit.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Someone should hire Larry Dierker.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If you can take the Chiba Lotte Marines to the Japan Series title, you have every right to think highly of yourself.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought Bochy was a retread when he got hired in '07. Now he's a genius. To borrow Madden, "talent is a great deodorant." He looked lame when it was Molina hitting 4th and Rowand hitting leadoff at .220. Now, with Lincecum/Cain/Sanchez/Baumgardner he looks like a genius.

Look at the talent before you diss on the manager. Wakamatsu in Seattle? No chance. None. Figgins hitting what .220? Manuel with Oliver Perez in the rotation? Overpaid underachievers like Reyes, Beltran, and Castillo? No chance.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Cubs wouldn't go there.

What does that tell you?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That Sandberg will be sitting next to Doug Melvin at a press conference within the week?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey, I also think Chicago made a big mistake. The Ricketts family had a perfect chance to link up Chicago's past with the present. But a few players said "Hey, Quade's doing a good job" and they listened to them. Ya, it was just what, over ONE MONTH? Get back to me when the Cubs are in the shitter again in 2011.

If I'm Milwaukee, yes, I step in. I interview Ryne. Worst case is he tries and fails. Best case (and it might be a tall order given Brew Crew's talent), Milwaukee wins the NL Central again.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

The legend coming back to coach/manage where he enjoyed his glory days rarely ends well. See Bart Starr, Alan Trammell, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, etc etc. Probably best for all involved that Sandberg and the Cubs aren't taking the risk of sullying his legacy.

11. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Looks like John Farrell will be the new manager for the Toronto Blue Jays.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=338200

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Kirk Gibson, Fredi Gonzalez, Don Mattingly, Eric Wedge, Mike Quarde, John Farrell ... it must be hire a manager on the cheap season

Draft saved Draft deleted