1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"We may have seen Roger Clemens throw his last pitch...."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well....this was fun for a bit.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ok, boots, we'll give this a try: Are you seriously advocating that budcrew call the Yankees or Clemens and express his grievence? If I have a problem with a plot on Grey's Anantomy or The Office, should I call Greg Daniels and Shonda Rhimes? Or am I allowed to express an opinion on a message board? We're journalists. Writers. Artists. Sports fans. We have opinions. I actually agree with you: If Clemens can continue to hold the Yankees hostage for a small country and a bottle of hair dye, more power to him. If the Yankees are foolish enough to pay a king's ransom for a pitcher with a huge ass who throws in the high 80s and can't make it out of the 6th inning anymore, that's their business.

But stop acting like you're personally offended when someone disagrees with you. None of this "check your logic" nonsense or "end of discussion."

Your posts provoke people because you act like a know-it-all who can't concede anything. How about, "Look, you might not like Clemens, but don't hate on him for trying to live his own life" and leave it at that. Budcrew doesn't actually want to affect Clemens' decision to retire or come back. He just wants to express an opinion. None of this "you don't know what you're talking about, here is how it is, now shut up, end of discussion."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, Debbie, how do my highlights look?

You're fucking-A right they look awesome.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm sure the 18 million articles, radio and TV reports questioning the Yanks' sanity for offering a stupid contract like that should have been pretty clear.

5. boots

boots New Member

I don't know everything but some things are pretty freaking obvious. It's silly, IMO, to get upset because a baseball team is paying an aged pitcher a lot of money for spot performances.
    All I said was that no one was holding a gun to the Yankees head to pay Clemens and this is something he wants to do. That's pretty much the situation from where I sit. Now if you know something different, I'd love to hear it.
    You asked a pimple-assed question about knowing Clemens and Brittany Spears or some other bullshit that isn't worth answering. That was done to get a reaction. I gave you one, I ignored the question.
    Not once did I write "you don't know what you're talking about, here is how it is, now shut up, end of discussion." Correction, I did say end of discussion about the Yankees paying Clemens and his accepting the contract.
    If you're a journalist, you should have learned not to assume anything. And after reading my post, you made a helluva lot of assumptions. All of them were wrong.
    I don't want you to assume that I'm chastising you or starting a war or anything like that. I decided to answer your question primarily because you said that I provoke people. If people stopped assuming posts instead of reading them, they wouldn't feel provoked.
    I'm not trying to provoke anyone.
    I hope that answered your question and we can get back to the topic.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Boots, what if that team was one you pay outrageous ticket prices to to cover the cost?

7. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That smiley needs highlights and a burnt orange visor.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Actually, mine is a legitimate question.
    If I'm a Yankee fan, you bet I was complaining every way possible on paying that much money for so little return.

10. boots

boots New Member

I don't understand your question.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A local talk radio host, and Yankees fan, went on this poor-Roger rant about how this might be his last game ever and it was sad to see such a warrior perhaps finish in a poor way because he was hurt.

To which I reply: Roger will finish his career because of an injury because he won't leave the game otherwise. He's forcing himself to have a bad finish because he won't just retire.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok. Parking at Yankee is what, $20 or so?
    Food is like $8 for a hot dog.
    Moderately good tickets are $40, I think.
    You can't take a family to a game anymore.
    Why is this the case? Because the Yankees are throwing money hand over fist at older players with limited return.
    Why isn't it ok, especially if you are a Yankee fan, to vent about this on a message board on a Clemens topic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.