1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We haven't flogged PETA in a while...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jan 10, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yeah, but for every really stupid thing like this, or the request that Ben and Jerry's make ice cream from human milk, they get something in the paper like saving that old lobster:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hmOrslWmPZJOTmOOWSP4do0VHBwwD95JUPLO0

I think PETA is a bunch of nutjobs, and every time I see something like this it makes me want to run out and order a Double-Double. But they do some awesome PR stuff--love it or hate it, they get newspapers and TV stations to pick this stuff up.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Right, but at some point, the stunts to get in the news are all they are.

This doesn't change any minds. It just serves to get PETA in the news.

At a certain point you have to actually set about an agenda.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

On the other hand, Cheer, Cheer for Sea Kitten High!

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That's just absurd. If it was just a made-up name, that's one thing. But it's the name of their town!
    I know the saying that any publicity is good publicity, but doesn't making yourself look this silly take away from what you are trying to accomplish?

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You only cover us when we have a mean name!

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Love the first comment. PETA -- People Eating Tasty Animals.

Indeed.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The fish try just as hard as the other, better animals!

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So if men watch The Little Mermaid just to see Ariel, is that killing the Sea Kittens?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There's something amazingly cool about the way you think.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I had a piece of sea kitten for dinner, it was nicely filed except they could have done a better job of removing the claws.

PETA must hate my family, I come from a long line of sea kitten hunters (Would that be the term to take over for fisherman?)

12. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

I remember a few years ago PETA tried to get a town called "Hamburg" to rename itself "Veggieburg."

That didn't pan out.

As for me, I feel like I have a personal responsibility to counter anyone who's dumb enough to allow Sea Kitten-like stunts to play on their emotions by eating more meat.

Next time, I'm ordering two burgers at McDonald's instead of one ... take that, PETA.

Draft saved Draft deleted