1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have to go back! (Lost 2009 season)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JakeandElwood, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good catch. I forgot earlier on that Faraday wanted Desmond to find her in Oxford.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So Farady's mom convinced Des to go to the island. So her son can then send a message via Des in the future.

3. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I have a theory about Des, Penny and Daniel that is, admittedly, WAY the fuck out there, but I think it might explain why Des specifically is Daniel's constant. In deference to those folks who don't want to hear my blabbering though, I will share it via PM to anyone who's interested.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ahhhhhhhhh, they don't have the new episode online yet.

How the hell am I supposed to watch it?

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

What is real about Lost is characters. At the end of the day, when you cut through the time-travel, giant magnets, wild boards and weird '70s style co-ops, it is about a group of people, strangers that unknowingly were connected, trying to survive. It's been that way from day one. This is why I watch the show, and I suspect that may have been what RossLT's friend was going for.
    Now, to episode one (and two?) of season five. Great stuff. I've always felt like the season premieres of Lost set the rest of the season up, to borrow a long-since-worn SJ phrase. In someways, this is unsatisfying after the terrific season finales (remember the epically-slow beginning of season three?). But the show is picking up the pace for this early on, and doing its usual job of answering some questions (What was Dharma doing there in the first place?) while setting up others (What exactly place in time is it on the island when the soldiers nab Sawyer and Juliet? Who is Ben in cahoots with? The guys going after Sayid/Hurley - Ben's or Widmore's?)
    All in all, I'll take it as a very nice way to start up the season.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Random thoughts while watching ...

Whoa. Did Sayid just kill a man with a DISHWASHER?! Now, that is cool.

Favorite line of the night, so far:
    Hurley: "Maybe if you ate more comfort food you wouldn't have to shoot people."

Faraday: "We're either in the past ... or the future."
    No shit. Oh. Well, I guess either way they're in the present, no?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The dishwasher bit bothered me. Who puts knives points up in a dishwasher?

I'm willing to suspend disbelief on some things. But that seemed a little contrived.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

So the whole time travel thing is fine, though? Come on, man this is the realest show on TV! Ross has a friend who says so! :D

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Awesome. I love this show. Thought this was a great start. I know a lot of people have issues with the time travel aspect, and it can be a lot to wrap your mind around, but it's fascinating. I have too much to process now. But really good stuff so far.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The wife noted that maybe Sayid had his knives in the dishwasher that way "just in case. You never know, right?"

Still wondering where they will go with the time travel. When Faraday said they cannot change the past, I interpreted it as basically that they're in a Read-Only file when they go back in time. See all you want, can't do anything with it.

BUT . . . Locke offed two soldiers, who were carrying older guns. Does this affect anything in the future? Can the past people they interact with be killed without some sort of Butterfly Effect? Again, it seems they make up rules as they go. But they're not done yet . . .

Thanks to whoever spotted the old lady at the end as jewelry store lady.

Loved this two hours of TV. 31 glorious episodes to go.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed this episode. Anyone else think Sun is behind the lawyers coming to Kate's?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolsmurfly.

Draft saved Draft deleted