1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have our first openly gay American active athlete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Did he go to Stanford with Chelsea, possibly?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Condi is on the Stanford faculty now.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think I explained well enough. If you think it's sad and pathetic, then so be it. Keep it moving Rip. Find someone else to debate with.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if Collins was scrambling to make this announcement while he was still an "active" player.

I don't think we'll be able to gauge how people will truly react to this type of announcement until a superstar announces.

There will be a lot of conversations like this today... "Jason Collins became the first active athlete from the Big 4 sports to announce that he's gay."

"Who the hell is Jason Collins?" or "Collins is still in the NBA?" or "Wait, was that the guy from Stanford?"

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah but he's probably worthy of a spot in the league too -- just like people said it would be some veteran who is pretty well liked and respected. Collins even started a handful of games this year and he has that physical role where he lends some minutes against the true centers.

Plus big guys stay around a frickin' long time. Caldwell Jones played 17 seasons. Juwan Howard is in his 19th.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's not anywhere close to the caliber of player Caldwell Jones was and Juwan Howard is. But he's big and may be in the league again next year.

7. Dick Whitman

Kurt Thomas comes to mind, as well.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I predict that, despite not caring, Drip will have a post like this on any thread that's similar to this one.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep. While I applaud his courage, the "still active" part does come with a bit of a disclaimer.

Collins' NBA career was basically over anyways. He has barely touched the floor the last few years, has no contract after this year, and it's very likely he wouldn't have had a job in the League next season regardless. Which I suspect influenced his decision to announce now, as there's nothing really to lose at this point in his career. Hell, if anything, this might result in pressure from the League for someone to sign him to avoid the appearance/speculation that he might've been blackballed.

Still waiting for someone to come out in the prime of their career when it really matters.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I give the guy a lot of credit.

I think he'll linger around the league for a couple more years, which will be good for this. Now at least anyone who decides to follow suit can say, "Well, I'm not the first..." but I don't think we're going to see a big reaction to something like this until a superstar does it, and that may still be a long way off.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

He pretty much admitted that his role is to utilize his six fouls. Someone will always have room for a seven-footer who takes charges, can play a little D and doesn't give a shit about scoring.

12. Dick Whitman

Um, I think he cleared up that last part today as inaccurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.