1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have a sick cat and I am banging my head off the f--king wall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Most of you know we have two cats, Hank and Grace. Hank is currently battling a urinary tract infection with a second round of antibiotics. Hank is a sweetheart to most anyone; Grace is a, uh, challenge.

As I've now learned, both are as stubborn as me.

We fought with Hank on the first round of antibiotics. He had a liquid version of kitty amoxicillin. We had to trap him and shove it down his throat because every other method we tried - mixing it in with food or treats - didn't work so well. This time we've got the pill form, so we crush it and mix it in with wet food - which is a treat for our cats. (They free feed on dry food.)

To make sure Hank has an appetite, we've taken away the dry food so Hank will devour the wet food with the crushed pill.

Or so we thought.

A few minutes ago, Grace was in the bedroom sleeping away in the afternoon sun. This is my chance to sequester her for a while; otherwise she will undoubtedly swoop in and eat the food that's not for her (remember, wet food is a treat).

So I shut the door and prep Hank's food, set it down and watch him ignore it. He promptly starts walking toward the closed bedroom door and protesting a little bit; his litter box is inside in the bathroom connected to the bedroom.

I thought to myself, "Don't tell me he has use it now."

Sure enough. A few seconds later, I hear the sound of rustling newspaper. The WaPo Style section I had strategically left in the bathroom (for when *I* had to use it) had just become Hank's pisser. I walked in in time to see him try to bury it.

Literally, all I could do was bang my head off the wall. Two ruined crosswords and a sudoku, and he still hasn't touched his food.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

When I first read the thread title, I thought it said We have a sick cat and I am banging it's head off the f--king wall.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Nope. Just me.

Didn't help, unfortunately. They're still stubborn and I'm still frustrated.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

They make little pill shooters. It's kind of like a syringe — put the pill on the end, open Hank's mouth, put the syringe as far as you can far as Hank will let you, then hit the button. You can open Hank's mouth by applying pressure at the jaw hinges. After you shoot the pill into his mouth, massage his throat for a few seconds to make sure he swallows it.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What he said. You can also dip the top of the pill shooter in some wet food so it tastes better.

It was always a two person job to get the liquid stuff down my girl cat's throat, and she wouldn't take pills in any form, but with the pill shooter, I can dope her on my own.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Look at the bright side, he just saved you from wasting at least 30 minutes of your life.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My cat, who normally only sleeps with the girl and pays attention to me when he wants food, water, a brushing, scratches or to have his box cleaned, knows I'm feeling sick, and, thus, refuses to leave my side.

It's truly one of the sweeter things you'll ever see.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You pussy...

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

No shit.

Man, nut up.......only pussy you should see when you're sick is attached to your girl, not to a tail.

Tell the cat to make it's own damn food, and leave you the hell alone for a day.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Y'all are just jealous.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Hey man....I have a cat.

And she knows damn well that if I'm sick, the only time she comes in to mess with me is if she's walking in that door carrying a jar of Vick's Vapo-Rub and some latex gloves to apply it with.

Other than that, close the door and get the fuck outta here.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

We got 2 kittens in June.
    I am so not looking forward to this stuff.
    My wife can deal with it.
    Good luck Hustle.

Draft saved Draft deleted