1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have 24 movie stars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was nobody more surprised than me that Paul Blart Mall Cop made over $100 million. I was fucking stunned.

Now I see the ads for the Zookeeper and I know that movie is going to make a fortune.

I like Kevin James. I was a pretty big King of Queens fan until the last couple seasons.

Is he as talented as Farley? Not even close, but he's more kid-friendly.

He made the brilliant move of aligning himself with the right people after King of Queens went off the air. He co-starred with Will Smith and Adam Sandler and both of those movies did really well. Now, he's aligned with Sandler and doing movies for Sandler's company and not surprisingly the first couple movies have been the kid-friendly slapstick stuff that critics hate and audiences flock to see.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My first thought is that a list of the current movie stars that has 24 people on it is inherently flawed.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I must be really, really out of it. I have a vague knowledge of Timberlake's acting -- he was in "Black Snake Moan," right? I saw his photo with a MySpace story today and it meant nothing -- but I've no clue who Kevin James, Zac Galafianakis and Seth Rogen are. Or Ryan Reynolds, for that matter.

I'd *want* to add Edward Norton, but not sure he belongs.

4. Mizzougrad96

Sandler is to comedies what Will Smith is to action films/dramas.

The only Sandler movies that don't make money are the ones where he proves he can actually act. I thought he was great in Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish, but none of them will make a tenth of the money that something like Don't Mess with the Zohan or Grown-Ups.

5. Mizzougrad96

Do you live in a cave?

Were you buried alive for the last decade?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My first thought, too, and the fact that it's all-male makes it inherently flawed.

But arguments can at least be made for every one of the 24, I would think.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think Timberlake is just now at the point where studios think he can open a movie.

I think he definitely will be a movie star within the next couple years, but I don't think he's there yet.

8. jr/shotglass

I'm a little closer to understanding; Galifinakis has sort of come on in the past 2 years, and Ryan Reynolds is like a name just below the surface of "name" actors.

But Rogen and James ... they're household names.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Close. My Peace Corps assignment was closer to America than I am now.

I do have cable. "Teachers" was on last night. I don't remember Morgan Freeman being it. And Nick Nolte *somehow* got left off the list. :) With that mug shot, how can be not be a movie star?

10. Mizzougrad96

There are no names on that list that are "ridiculous"

I think there are also probably another 10 actors and actresses who you can make a decent argument belong on that list.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

James gained fame from King of Queens and his comedy bits, not from movies. And I don't think they are household names...maybe for the 40 and under crowd

12. jr/shotglass

Yes. Definitely. I LOVE to hear that John Cusack's in a movie. But he just doesn't put himself in position to be a movie-carrier.

C'monnnn. I'm giving all I can on that, but I'm the 50-and-over crowd. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted