1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have 24 movie stars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

No way Gylenhaal is on that list. He can't open a movie. Ledger would have been on it, however.

Also agree Jeff Bridges is a movie star. He's innately cool.

I would consider Bardem as a sub for Gylenhaal. Roberts is a movie star, but not one that opens movies anymore. I would probably nominate Jolie and Witherspoon as the only female stars that could really headline something, but even that is suspect. Maybe Diaz.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was thinking Diaz, too. She has carried any number of movies.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Depends on who you're talking about. To you, if you didn't like it, he whiffed. To him, that movie grossed $168 million. That ain't a whiff. I think that kind of cash qualifies as automatic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Diaz is a good call. Most of her bad movies do well. She definitely belongs on the list.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're right. I had no idea that piece of garbage made that much money until I read the article.

Smith is the runaway No. 1. Depp and DiCaprio are probably No. 2 and No. 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. jr/shotglass

Ryan was right about the Will Smith part in Simmons' piece.

It was really jarring to understand how he and his manager sat down, took a cold, clinical look at what movies worked and what movies didn't, and formulated his career choices accordingly.

I think a Brad Pitt movie is still a happening. Believe you can still put him right with Depp and DiCaprio.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's weird - I've always thought Bridges went out of his way to NOT be a "movie star" judging by the movies he does. I'm sure several others on the list became stars based on roles he passed up. He's done character roles, hell he played a gymnastics coach in "Stick It" - he's never done the same guy twice.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Kevin James is an unfunny Farley, with way less chops.

9. jr/shotglass

Yes ... but he's carried a few movies.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He was in a movie with Eva Mendes. He didn't do any of the carrying there.

11. jr/shotglass

And I can pick movies that certain movie stars haven't carried. The point is, there are ones he did. "Paul Blart," as silly as some of us might have thought it to be, did monster box office. "Grown Ups" did $160M.

Here's the thing. He's getting the movies that Farley, if alive, would have been doing better. That doesn't make him NOT a movie star. That makes him in the right spots at the right time.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard Adam Sandler say once "They don't pay you $20 million to make a movie - they pay you to sell the movie."

Draft saved Draft deleted