1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have 24 movie stars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is a big difference between being a movie star and being an actor.

My two quibbles with the names on the list are Galifanakis (sp?) and Timberlake.

A movie star can open a film on his own. Those two have not done that. I think Timberlake will be a movie star at some point, but he's not there yet. Galifanakis has been in three hits (unless you count voice work). Two were the Hangover and the other was Due Date, which starred Downey Jr.

As far as those who should be on the list: Angelina Jolie, Bradley Cooper, Reese Witherspoon, Julia Roberts.

2. Mizzougrad96

The definition of a movie star is someone who can be in a bad movie and have that movie make $100 million.

By that definition, Kevin James absolutely is a movie star.

3. Mizzougrad96

Sandra Bullock should be on the list. Jim Carrey as well, even though he's fading fast.

I don't know what to do with John Travolta and Harrison Ford.

4. Mizzougrad96

Vince Vaughn should be on the list. If Owen Wilson isn't, he's probably close.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, I missed the boat on Roberts.

Simmons addresses Cooper. Pretty much dismisses him as a very replaceable chess piece. Says you plug Reynolds into either Hangover movie for Cooper, and you have the same movie.

Carrey's been off that list for a while. Check his last 6-7 years.

6. Mizzougrad96

Daniel Craig should be on this list as well.

7. jr/shotglass

I'd have to know who Daniel Craig is before I can make a judgment on that. ::)

8. Mizzougrad96

You're probably right about Carrey.

The best argument for Bradley Cooper is "Limitless" It's hardly his biggest hit by any stretch, but it was his movie and it opened big and has cleared $100 million worldwide. I don't think it hit $100 mil in the US.

9. Mizzougrad96

Craig has Cowboys and Aliens and Larsson Trilogy (Dragon Tattoo etc...) coming up.

Oh yeah, and he's James Bond. :D

10. jr/shotglass

I'm sorry, mizzou ... it just sounds like one of those "the White Stripes are the greatest band in the history of music" arguments. ;)

11. Mizzougrad96

Will Smith is the biggest movie star in the country and I don't think it's even close. He whiffed on Seven Pounds, but other than that, he's as automatic as they get.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Mizzougrad96

Well, to be fair, Timothy Dalton's Bond movies made money as well.

Maybe Craig's not on the list now, but he will be in a few months after Cowboys and Aliens and the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo open.

Draft saved Draft deleted