1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have 24 movie stars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I'd give you all those except Drew Barrymore.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

But I think the list, as written, is about NOW. You can't include Willis, Jones or Hackman these days, same as Ford wouldn't make the cut. Those guys aren't opening movies these days.

3. That list is Fail. Bad. Fail.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's where I'm leaning with her too. I was arguing for the others, but just throwing her name out for debate.

KJIM: I'll give you Hackman, but since Ford and Duvall were mentioned, Hackman most certainly belongs in the company of those men. I still argue that Willis and Jones can still do, and deliver, on what they've always done. They're still believable. Nicholson, too. I don't watch a lot of movies, but if any of those three are in a move, I'm going to at least give it a second look.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To argue Harrison Ford is not a movie star is sheer insanity.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the argument. It's that Ford is not in the top 24 list at this point in time. What was the last movie Ford opened? (I'm asking -- as demonstrated early in this discussion, I have little clue of what happens stateside these days.)

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008 and he's starring in Cowboys and Aliens this summer (is he opening it or Daniel Craig? Hard to say, but Ford's name is still a big draw).

Harrison Ford is at least a top-10 movie star of ALL TIME. To argue he's not a movie star now is still sheer insanity. And he's a bigger movie star than MANY of the people on that list.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I am under the impression that Ford's role in Cowboys and Aliens is a very secondary role.

He's the biggest movie star of all-time. Is he in the top 24 in 2011? No...

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Crystal Skull stunk beyond measure.

The thought of a fifth Indiana Jones picture -- with Ford -- is sheer insanity.

They should have stopped at three. Talk about one of the top ten movie endings since
    the introduction of sound . . .

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

No, it's completely rational.

Draft saved Draft deleted