1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We don't see the appeal of A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Yes someone did.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I found Christmas With The Duke on AMC. John Wayne all day (or at least until I have dinner with my family, pilgrim.)

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

They've got Bond movies on one of the channels -- Spike, maybe.

4. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I agree with Sly. This has to be the most cynical thread around. I understand how the constant showing of A Christmas Story can cause the film to lose some of its appeal. I love It's a Wonderful Life but back before NBC gained exclusive rights, it was shown almost non-stop from Thangsgiving until Christmas on numerous channels. That took away a bit of the appeal. No one forces anyone to watch A Christmas Story, certainly not for 24 hours. Just skip it for a year or two and then view just one showing the following year and you may gain an appreciation of the film. Remember, even Scrooge found the true meaning of Christmas in the end.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Jesus, I freaking started this thread so those of us who don't get the flick wouldn't piss all over the thread celebrating it.

Instead we get the the people who like it posting all over our thread.

This is what I get for trying to do something nice.

And A Christmas Story sucks. Sorry. It's a terrible movie. Give me a A Miracle on 34th Street any day.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

We had to figure they were going to show up at some point.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny. When I did it, I was always waiting for somebody to ask that but it never happened. A firm "NO" should get the point across. :)

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I'd call her what I think of her, but that might get me banned. From my dad's house and here.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've seen "A Christmas Story" a couple of times and agree, that while cute and quaint, it's nothing special. But I also rooted for the government when I watched "E.T." as a kid.

And TBS running "A Christmas Story" for 24 hours is not nearly as big a programming crime as another Christmas without football of any kind. The NBA sucks.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

People don't like this movie?

NADAFINGA!!!!

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I never got it, either.

Don't wish to harsh the mellow of those who like it, though. I know my tastes are bizarre...I like "The Bells of St. Mary's."

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A Christmas Story was the most overrated movie of all time until The Dark Knight was released.

Draft saved Draft deleted